> "Your password must be at least 5 characters, cannot
> repeat any of your previous 0 passwords and must be at least 0 days
> old. Please type a different password. Type a password that meets
> these requirements in both text boxes."
> ...instead of the requirements set forth in OpenLDAP (minimum 6 chars,
> can't use previous 6 passwords, etc) as demonstrated below is an issue.
> Where is it pulling these requirements from,

The message comes from the security policy set on Samba via the pdbedit
command. Setting a security policy via pdbedit is covered in the
pdbedit man page.

> and how can I get it to
> relay messages from OpenLDAP (e.g., the 'password fails quality
> checking' message) back to the user?

You can't. Yes, this epically sucks.

I'd be *thrilled* to know if you come up with any universal way to
enforce password strength & re-use rules. Currently I know of only one
- Active Directory.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com