I have a samba server that has been running for quite a while, without any problems. Last week, out of the blue, everybody lost connections. I restarted winbind and samba and all was well. It happened again, and again all it took was a restart. It happened over the weekend then again on Monday, when I noticed winbind was gone and just restarted that. When i happened again today I looked into why.

Winbind is dying with an internal error. Here's what it looks like in the messages file:

Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: [2008/04/02 11:25:50, 0] lib/fault.c:fault_report(36)
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: ================================================== =============
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: [2008/04/02 11:25:50, 0] lib/fault.c:fault_report(37)
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 6 in pid 16996 (3.0.20b-2.1)
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: Please read the Trouble-Shooting section of the Samba3-HOWTO
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: [2008/04/02 11:25:50, 0] lib/fault.c:fault_report(39)
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]:
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: From: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: [2008/04/02 11:25:50, 0] lib/fault.c:fault_report(40)
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: ================================================== =============
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: [2008/04/02 11:25:50, 0] lib/util.c:smb_panic2(1570)
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: PANIC: internal error
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: [2008/04/02 11:25:50, 0] lib/util.c:smb_panic2(1578)
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: BACKTRACE: 30 stack frames:
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #0 winbindd(smb_panic2+0x14f) [0x93e7cf]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #1 winbindd(smb_panic+0x27) [0x93e677]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #2 winbindd [0x928786]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #3 /lib/tls/libc.so.6 [0x1b60d8]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #4 /lib/tls/libc.so.6(abort+0x1d5) [0x1b7705]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #5 winbindd [0x96515b]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #6 winbindd [0x9653c9]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #7 winbindd(cli_krb5_get_ticket+0x230) [0x965850]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #8 winbindd(spnego_gen_negTokenTarg+0x53) [0x966553]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #9 winbindd [0xa0952a]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #10 winbindd [0xa0984e]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #11 winbindd(ads_sasl_bind+0x150) [0xa0a070]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #12 winbindd(ads_connect+0x1ba) [0xa02a3a]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #13 winbindd(ads_do_search_retry+0xf6) [0xa0fd96]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #14 winbindd(ads_search_retry+0x3f) [0xa1005f]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #15 winbindd [0x8e5e56]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #16 winbindd [0x8d6c2c]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #17 winbindd(winbindd_dual_userinfo+0x137) [0x8cb7b7]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #18 winbindd [0x8e949d]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #19 winbindd [0x8e98fe]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #20 winbindd [0x8e8fc0]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #21 winbindd(async_request+0x88) [0x8e8b98]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #22 winbindd(init_child_connection+0x179) [0x8d1789]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #23 winbindd(async_domain_request+0xb6) [0x8e90e6]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #24 winbindd [0x8d11db]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #25 winbindd(rescan_trusted_domains+0x48) [0x8d15f8]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #26 winbindd [0x8ca601]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #27 winbindd(main+0x505) [0x8cb0f5]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #28 /lib/tls/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xda) [0x1a379a]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]: #29 winbindd [0x8c8f72]
Apr 2 11:25:50 winbindd[16996]:

Since this is a daily occurance, its rather annoying, for me and the users. Of course my boss wants to know why this is suddenly happening on an otherwise stable server (I'd like to know that too).

I'm running Samba version 3.0.20b-2.1 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 7)
--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba