[Samba] strange behaviour - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] strange behaviour - Samba ; Hi all. Last thursday I've had to restore my customer's pdc from an hdd failure, and by the evening I restored a full working state of server and clients, rejoining all of them to the domain. Next morning the customer ...

  1. [Samba] strange behaviour

    Hi all.

    Last thursday I've had to restore my customer's pdc from an hdd failure,
    and by the evening I restored a full working state of server and
    clients, rejoining all of them to the domain.
    Next morning the customer called me saying that nothing was working, I
    looked the server from remote without finding failures and then I went
    there: I found that clients couldn't find the pdc and I struggled with
    name resolution, but I didn't get the system up until I put the server's
    ip address in the WINS servers list in each client's TCP/IP configuration.
    Can someone tell me what could cause this strange issue? I must say that
    the server wasn't shut down the thursday evening, only clients were.
    What can I do to restore the working state without having to manually
    set the WINS server in each client?

    Thank you in advance.

    Roberto

  2. Re: [Samba] strange behaviour

    On 4/1/2008, Roberto Sacchetti (roberto@siros.it) wrote:
    > What can I do to restore the working state without having to manually
    > set the WINS server in each client?

    This should always be provided to the clients by the DHCP server, no?

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  3. Re: [Samba] strange behaviour

    Yes, but the dhcp server isn't providing that now nor thursday and before.
    I think that I'll put this setting there, but I haven't yet understood
    what happened and I hope someone could help me finding what caused that.

    Thank you.

    Roberto