[Samba] strange permission denied problem - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] strange permission denied problem - Samba ; I built an embedded box which uses mount.cifs to mount network shares. I've shipped several of these and all are working fine except for one, which gives me permission denied on certain files: root@Mnemosyne:~/mnt/bgrp1/c/Ballance Group Folders/Scully/Client Photos-Scully# cat "Office Pics ...

  1. [Samba] strange permission denied problem

    I built an embedded box which uses mount.cifs to mount network
    shares. I've shipped several of these and all are working fine except
    for one, which gives me permission denied on certain files:

    root@Mnemosyne:~/mnt/bgrp1/c/Ballance Group Folders/Scully/Client
    Photos-Scully# cat "Office Pics 002.jpg" > /dev/null
    cat: Office Pics 002.jpg: Permission denied
    root@Mnemosyne:~/mnt/bgrp1/c/Ballance Group Folders/Scully/Client
    Photos-Scully# cat "Iron & Concrete Table.jpg" > /dev/null
    root@Mnemosyne:~/mnt/bgrp1/c/Ballance Group Folders/Scully/Client
    Photos-Scully#

    So only the Office Pics file gets a permission denied.

    root@Mnemosyne:~/mnt/bgrp1/c/Ballance Group Folders/Scully/Client
    Photos-Scully# ls -al
    dr-xr-x--- 1 root root 0 Mar 28 14:22 .
    dr-xr-x--- 1 root root 0 Mar 27 17:35 ..
    -r--r----- 1 root root 113826 Mar 3 16:26 Iron & Concrete
    Table.jpg
    -r--r----- 1 root root 744886 Feb 21 16:14 Nightstands.jpg
    -r--r----- 1 root root 765452 Feb 15 19:09 Occhio Chair.jpg
    -r--r----- 1 root root 90670 Mar 28 14:22 Office Pics 002.jpg

    cat /proc/mounts says:
    //bgrp1/c /tmp/mnt/bgrp1/c cifs
    ro,mand,nodiratime,unc=\\bgrp1\c,username=root,dom ain=,rsize=4100,wsize=4100
    0 0

    and the mount line itself is
    mount.cifs "//$server/$wshare" /tmp/mnt/$server/$lshare -o
    ip=$target,guest,ro,file_mode=0440,dir_mode=0550

    I can't for the life of me figure out why some files give me a
    permission denied. I have no physical access to the problem box; here's
    what I know:

    ------------------------------------------+
    Looking up status of 192.168.0.2
    BGRP1 <00> - B
    MSHOME <00> - B
    BGRP1 <20> - B
    MSHOME <1e> - B
    MSHOME <1d> - B
    ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - B

    MAC Address = 00-19-DB-A6-43-23

    ------------------------------------------+

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    D$ Disk Default share
    C Disk
    Ballance Group Folders Disk
    F Disk
    ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
    C$ Disk Default share

    Server Comment
    --------- -------

    Workgroup Master

    How do I go about diagnosing this?

    Thanks,

    --Yan

    --
    o__
    ,>/'_ o__

    Help out my kids' school: http://www.seiner.com/blog/Travels/

  2. Re: [Samba] strange permission denied problem

    Yan Seiner wrote:
    > I built an embedded box which uses mount.cifs to mount network
    > shares. I've shipped several of these and all are working fine
    > except for one, which gives me permission denied on certain files:
    >
    > root@Mnemosyne:~/mnt/bgrp1/c/Ballance Group Folders/Scully/Client
    > Photos-Scully# cat "Office Pics 002.jpg" > /dev/null
    > cat: Office Pics 002.jpg: Permission denied
    > root@Mnemosyne:~/mnt/bgrp1/c/Ballance Group Folders/Scully/Client
    > Photos-Scully# cat "Iron & Concrete Table.jpg" > /dev/null
    > root@Mnemosyne:~/mnt/bgrp1/c/Ballance Group Folders/Scully/Client
    > Photos-Scully#
    >
    > So only the Office Pics file gets a permission denied.
    >
    > root@Mnemosyne:~/mnt/bgrp1/c/Ballance Group Folders/Scully/Client
    > Photos-Scully# ls -al
    > dr-xr-x--- 1 root root 0 Mar 28 14:22 .
    > dr-xr-x--- 1 root root 0 Mar 27 17:35 ..
    > -r--r----- 1 root root 113826 Mar 3 16:26 Iron &
    > Concrete Table.jpg
    > -r--r----- 1 root root 744886 Feb 21 16:14 Nightstands.jpg
    > -r--r----- 1 root root 765452 Feb 15 19:09 Occhio Chair.jpg
    > -r--r----- 1 root root 90670 Mar 28 14:22 Office Pics
    > 002.jpg
    >
    > cat /proc/mounts says:
    > //bgrp1/c /tmp/mnt/bgrp1/c cifs
    > ro,mand,nodiratime,unc=\\bgrp1\c,username=root,dom ain=,rsize=4100,wsize=4100
    > 0 0
    >
    > and the mount line itself is
    > mount.cifs "//$server/$wshare" /tmp/mnt/$server/$lshare -o
    > ip=$target,guest,ro,file_mode=0440,dir_mode=0550
    >
    > I can't for the life of me figure out why some files give me a
    > permission denied. I have no physical access to the problem box;
    > here's what I know:
    >
    > ------------------------------------------+
    > Looking up status of 192.168.0.2
    > BGRP1 <00> - B
    > MSHOME <00> - B
    > BGRP1 <20> - B
    > MSHOME <1e> - B
    > MSHOME <1d> - B
    > ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - B
    >
    > MAC Address = 00-19-DB-A6-43-23
    >
    > ------------------------------------------+
    >
    > Sharename Type Comment
    > --------- ---- -------
    > IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    > D$ Disk Default share
    > C Disk Ballance Group Folders Disk
    > F Disk ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
    > C$ Disk Default share
    >
    > Server Comment
    > --------- -------
    >
    > Workgroup Master
    >
    > How do I go about diagnosing this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --Yan

    Does 'lsof' show the file as opened and locked by chance? I've seen
    something to this effect with a stale lock (had to reboot the server -
    although I'm sure there is a guru technique to blow away the entry in
    the open files table, and it's probably elegant too!) In my case, it
    made the load increase, as it thought it was I/O blocked. Are you
    seeing any outrageous load averages in 'uptime'? I was in the hundreds,
    but the box was responding like it was at a 0.5 or so.