[Samba] Samba Restrictions - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba Restrictions - Samba ; Hi, I'm hopping you can give me some advice, I work for a Financial Institute and we are very interested in implementing Samba as a file server running on AIX 5.3. Before we can think about implementing this we need ...

  1. [Samba] Samba Restrictions

    Hi,

    I'm hopping you can give me some advice, I work for a Financial Institute
    and we are very interested in implementing Samba as a file server running on
    AIX 5.3. Before we can think about implementing this we need to no if Samba
    has any limitation on number of folders, files and shares. The current file
    storage system is running on Windows 2003 server and has somewhere in the
    region of 51,000 folders and 450,000 files taking up 200GB would samba be
    able to cope with this?

    Your feedback would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Tim

    This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee and may also be privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee, or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose or otherwise act upon any part of this e-mail or its attachments.

    Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure or virus-free.
    The Barclays Group does not accept responsibility for any loss arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any Internet communications by any third party, or from the transmission of any viruses. Replies to this e-mail may be monitored by the Barclays Group for operational or business reasons.

    Any opinion or other information in this e-mail or its attachments that does not relate to the business of the Barclays Group is personal to the sender and is not given or endorsed by the Barclays Group.

    Barclays Bank PLC.Registered in England and Wales (registered no. 1026167).
    Registered Office: 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP, United Kingdom.

    Barclays Bank PLC is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba Restrictions

    On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 02:11:22PM +0100, timothy.brandrick@barclays.com wrote:
    > I'm hopping you can give me some advice, I work for a Financial Institute
    > and we are very interested in implementing Samba as a file server runningon
    > AIX 5.3. Before we can think about implementing this we need to no if Samba
    > has any limitation on number of folders, files and shares. The current file
    > storage system is running on Windows 2003 server and has somewhere in the
    > region of 51,000 folders and 450,000 files taking up 200GB would samba be
    > able to cope with this?
    >
    > Your feedback would be appreciated.

    Sure, there are no such limits in Samba. The only thing that
    you need to watch out for is individual directories with
    lots and lots of files or subdirs in one level. This is
    possible but might become slow. I would start to test it if
    you find directories with >1000 ntries.

    Volker

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba Restrictions

    On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:11 AM, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm hopping you can give me some advice, I work for a Financial Institute
    > and we are very interested in implementing Samba as a file server running on
    > AIX 5.3. Before we can think about implementing this we need to no if Samba
    > has any limitation on number of folders, files and shares. The current file
    > storage system is running on Windows 2003 server and has somewhere in the
    > region of 51,000 folders and 450,000 files taking up 200GB would samba be
    > able to cope with this?

    Yes. Our main samba server has. 4,000,000 files taking up 3TB of space
    with many thousand folders.

    John

  4. Re: [Samba] Samba Restrictions

    I have single directories with over 100,000 entries and about 4
    million files on the system total spanning about 15TB. I don't think
    you should have a problem. Only problem I have is that directory
    listings take a while with 100K entries but that's to be expected.

    On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:11 AM, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm hopping you can give me some advice, I work for a Financial Institute
    > and we are very interested in implementing Samba as a file server running on
    > AIX 5.3. Before we can think about implementing this we need to no if Samba
    > has any limitation on number of folders, files and shares. The current file
    > storage system is running on Windows 2003 server and has somewhere in the
    > region of 51,000 folders and 450,000 files taking up 200GB would samba be
    > able to cope with this?
    >
    > Your feedback would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tim
    >

    > This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee and may also be privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee, or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose or otherwise act upon any part of this e-mail or its attachments.
    >
    > Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure or virus-free.
    > The Barclays Group does not accept responsibility for any loss arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any Internet communications by any third party, or from the transmission of any viruses. Replies to this e-mail may be monitored by the Barclays Group for operational or business reasons.
    >
    > Any opinion or other information in this e-mail or its attachments that does not relate to the business of the Barclays Group is personal to the sender and is not given or endorsed by the Barclays Group.
    >
    > Barclays Bank PLC.Registered in England and Wales (registered no. 1026167).
    > Registered Office: 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP, United Kingdom.
    >
    > Barclays Bank PLC is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
    > --

  5. Re: [Samba] Samba Restrictions

    Ryan Bair wrote:
    > I have single directories with over 100,000 entries and about 4
    > million files on the system total spanning about 15TB. I don't think
    > you should have a problem. Only problem I have is that directory
    > listings take a while with 100K entries but that's to be expected.
    >
    > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:11 AM, wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm hopping you can give me some advice, I work for a Financial Institute
    >> and we are very interested in implementing Samba as a file server running on
    >> AIX 5.3. Before we can think about implementing this we need to no if Samba
    >> has any limitation on number of folders, files and shares. The current file
    >> storage system is running on Windows 2003 server and has somewhere in the
    >> region of 51,000 folders and 450,000 files taking up 200GB would samba be
    >> able to cope with this?
    >>
    >> Your feedback would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Tim
    >>

    >> This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee and may also be privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee, or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose or otherwise act upon any part of this e-mail or its attachments.
    >>
    >> Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure or virus-free.
    >> The Barclays Group does not accept responsibility for any loss arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any Internet communications by any third party, or from the transmission of any viruses. Replies to this e-mail may be monitored by the Barclays Group for operational or business reasons.
    >>
    >> Any opinion or other information in this e-mail or its attachments that does not relate to the business of the Barclays Group is personal to the sender and is not given or endorsed by the Barclays Group.
    >>
    >> Barclays Bank PLC.Registered in England and Wales (registered no. 1026167).
    >> Registered Office: 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP, United Kingdom.
    >>
    >> Barclays Bank PLC is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
    >> --

    Just be careful that you pick a file system with enough inodes. I think
    reiserfs has a great number of inodes and will handle multiple small
    files quickly; although, it is... cranky; I assume if you're a financial
    institute you have redundant everything and incremental backups
    constantly chugging off site, so it shouldn't be too much of a risk.
    Just make sure you don't drop the power, reiserfs will need to replay
    the journal and might need a fsck tree rebuild if you ever shut down
    while it's still mounted. I hear XFS also has many of these traits (and
    is somewhat more mature, although I think it has an issue on AIX, IIRC
    something isn't supported... snapshotting, perhaps?), as does JFS.