[Samba] "|dirname| in dfs path \boxname\dirname is not a dfs root" ? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] "|dirname| in dfs path \boxname\dirname is not a dfs root" ? - Samba ; Hi, It's looking to me like the error in the title is the main thing preventing logging into a share via ADS/winbind &c. I see an old note here for someone seeing the same in his error logs: http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba...ay/053388.html Ah ...

  1. [Samba] "|dirname| in dfs path \boxname\dirname is not a dfs root" ?

    Hi,

    It's looking to me like the error in the title is the main thing preventing
    logging into a share via ADS/winbind &c. I see an old note here for someone
    seeing the same in his error logs:

    http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba...ay/053388.html

    Ah - this explains a lot. The default for the "msdfs root"
    parameter changed between 3.0.24 from True to False.

    Has this client been restarted since the new Samba
    load was added and restarted ?

    If not - try rebooting the client. The clients remember
    if a server was a dfs root and act accordingly until a
    restart.

    The decision was made to change "msdfs root = no"
    due to problems detecting that the initial name given in
    a dfs root path belonged to this server (as I recall).

    The client for my testing purposes is smbclient on another Linux box. So I'm
    doubting that the "reboot Windows" advice is what I'm looking for. So, how
    the heck do I get around this error? And wtf does the error even mean?

    Thanks,
    Whit

  2. Re: [Samba] "|dirname| in dfs path \boxname\dirname is not a dfs root" ?

    Turns out that error can be got rid of with

    msdfs root = yes

    in the [share] section.

    But it doesn't solve my problem. More in another post.

    Whit