[Samba] everyone acl - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] everyone acl - Samba ; Howdy all, I was wondering if there was a known bug with the everyone acl. When looking at the security tab on windows the everyone acl has the read permission. If I unselect it to give everyone no permission and ...

  1. [Samba] everyone acl

    Howdy all,

    I was wondering if there was a known bug with the everyone acl. When
    looking at the security tab on windows the everyone acl has the read
    permission. If I unselect it to give everyone no permission and hit
    apply, read becomes checked again. If I select deny everyone read, then
    a warning pops up saying this will deny read for all users and it does.
    If after that I give read to another user, then everyone has read
    selected again. It seems the only way to unset read on everyone is to do
    it unix side. Is this a known problem or is there any solution?

    I'm tried running samba 3.0.27 and 3.0.28 on solaris 10 with these results.

    Thanks,
    Christian

  2. [Samba] Re: everyone acl

    "Christian McHugh" wrote in message
    > Howdy all,
    >
    > I was wondering if there was a known bug with the everyone acl. When
    > looking at the security tab on windows the everyone acl has the read
    > permission. If I unselect it to give everyone no permission and hit
    > apply, read becomes checked again. If I select deny everyone read, then
    > a warning pops up saying this will deny read for all users and it does.
    > If after that I give read to another user, then everyone has read
    > selected again. It seems the only way to unset read on everyone is to do
    > it unix side. Is this a known problem or is there any solution?
    >
    > I'm tried running samba 3.0.27 and 3.0.28 on solaris 10 with these

    results.

    > Thanks,
    > Christian
    >
    > --

    Perhaps this article will shed some light on the issue. It explains how
    Samba works with Windows ACL's.

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...080966,00.html

  3. Re: [Samba] Re: everyone acl

    Jamrock wrote:
    > Perhaps this article will shed some light on the issue. It explains how
    > Samba works with Windows ACL's.
    >
    > http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...1080966,00.htm

    I understand how the acls should work. My issue seem to be more of a bug.

    For example:
    If I have the following setup...

    # owner: root
    # group: root
    user::rwx
    user:bin:rwx
    group::rwx
    mask::rwx
    other::r--

    The other permission shows up in windows as the everyone acl having
    read. But If I uncheck the read permission, it just comes back. That is
    the problem. It should allow me to uncheck the read acl for everyone to
    perform the equivalent to "chmod o-r" but it does not work. After
    unchecking read for everyone, and hitting apply, the permission just
    returns.

    If I run chmod o-r from solaris, samba shows the proper permissions
    (everyone has nothing selected) and honors it. So something is broken
    with the implementation of the everyone acl.

    As a side note, I am able to add and remove acl's for other users and
    set their permissions just fine. It is just the everyone acl that seems
    to be special.

    Any ideas?

    Christian