[Samba] netbios name resolution inside linux via samba? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] netbios name resolution inside linux via samba? - Samba ; Hello, I have setup up samba on my pc and everything is working great. I setup my writable shared folders I can view other servers/pcs on the network using gnome but sometimes I need to debug some networking issues and ...

  1. [Samba] netbios name resolution inside linux via samba?

    Hello,
    I have setup up samba on my pc and everything is working great. I
    setup my writable shared folders I can view other servers/pcs on the
    network using gnome but sometimes I need to debug some networking
    issues and I would like to for example:

    ping myserver4
    ping: unknown host myserver4

    Is there a way to setup up linux to use samba for name resolution?
    The only way I know right now is to add myserver4 to /etc/hosts, but
    since there is 70 computer on a network is there an easier way?
    Automatically add all of them to /etc/hosts? or setup linux to use
    samba name resolution tools ? or?

    OS: Debian Stable
    setup: http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/SambaDomainController

    Thanks.
    Lucas

  2. [Samba] Re: netbios name resolution inside linux via samba?

    Actually I found the solution and posted it here. Install winbind and
    add wins to nsswitch.conf hosts line.

    http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/SambaD...148e63eeab95e7

    " Every pc can ping each other using the netbios name which coresponds
    to ip address.
    In windows ping netbios names is working ping mycomputer2 will ping
    the ip behind the name mycomputer2
    You are able to ping a pc that is on dhcp.
    This will enable same feature in linux
    enable linux pcs to ping netbios names"

    --
    Vehicle Information Number. Check for Authentic VIN
    http://lucasmanual.com/vin