[Samba] ZFS ACL Support - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] ZFS ACL Support - Samba ; Hello, I am running Samba 3.0.28 on a Solaris 10 8/07 x86_64 machine. Directory services and authentication are provided by MS Active Directory's LDAP and Kerberos. My problem is that, when attempting to add an ACE to a file from ...

  1. [Samba] ZFS ACL Support

    Hello,

    I am running Samba 3.0.28 on a Solaris 10 8/07 x86_64 machine.
    Directory services and authentication are provided by MS Active
    Directory's LDAP and Kerberos.

    My problem is that, when attempting to add an ACE to a file from Windows
    (XP, SP2), I get an error saying "Access Denied". The share is a
    directory on a ZFS filesystem (NFSv4 ACLs). Below is the share definition:

    [sambatest]
    comment = Test Samba Share
    path = /zfs-filesystem/smbtest
    read only = No
    nfs4:acedup = merge
    nfs4:chown = yes
    nfs4:mode = special

    smbd -i -d 3 generates the following:

    wcorcor opened file JXv3.2_install_windows.exe read=No write=No (numopen=3)
    Transaction 368 of length 232
    switch message SMBnttrans (pid 5197) conn 0x83d8860
    call_nt_transact_set_security_desc: file = JXv3.2_install_windows.exe,
    sent 0x4
    fetch sid from uid cache (UID) -> (SID)
    fetch uid from cache (UID) -> (SID)
    fetch uid from cache (UID2) -> (SID2)
    unix_mode(JXv3.2_install_windows.exe) returning 0744
    set_canon_ace_list: sys_acl_set_file type file failed for file
    JXv3.2_install_windows.exe (Operation not applicable).
    convert_canon_ace_to_posix_perms: Too many ACE entries for file
    JXv3.2_install_windows.exe to convert to posix perms.
    set_nt_acl: failed to convert file acl to posix permissions for file
    JXv3.2_install_windows.exe.
    error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(2207) cmd=160 (SMBnttrans)
    NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    Transaction 369 of length 45
    switch message SMBclose (pid 5197) conn 0x83d8860
    close fd=-1 fnum=6372 (numopen=3)
    DOMAIN\wcorcor closed file JXv3.2_install_windows.exe (numopen=2)

    What could I be doing wrong?

    --
    Bill Corcoran

  2. Re: [Samba] ZFS ACL Support

    On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 02:47:11PM -0600, Bill Corcoran wrote:
    > [sambatest]
    > comment = Test Samba Share
    > path = /zfs-filesystem/smbtest
    > read only = No
    > nfs4:acedup = merge
    > nfs4:chown = yes
    > nfs4:mode = special

    Is it possible that you forgot to add "vfs objects = zfsacl"?

    Volker

  3. Re: [Samba] ZFS ACL Support

    Volker Lendecke wrote:

    > Is it possible that you forgot to add "vfs objects = zfsacl"?

    Where do I get the zfsacl module? I cannot use Sun's packages because
    they do not include the idmap_ad module for winbindd. I configured
    samba --with-shared-modules to include vfs_zfsacl. The source
    configured and compiled without error or mention of zfsacl, but still:

    ~/src/samba-3.0.28> grep -ri zfsacl *
    ~/src/samba-3.0.28> find ./ -iname '*zfs*acl*' -ls

    Nothing =( and smbd exits with error when connecting to the share:

    Initialising default vfs hooks
    Initialising custom vfs hooks from [/[Default VFS]/]
    Initialising custom vfs hooks from [zfsacl]
    Error loading module '/usr/local/lib/vfs/zfsacl.so': ld.so.1: smbd:
    fatal: /usr/local/lib/vfs/zfsacl.so: open failed: No such file or directory
    Can't find a vfs module [zfsacl]
    smbd_vfs_init: vfs_init_custom failed for zfsacl
    vfs_init failed for service sambatest

    Thanks,
    --
    Bill Corcoran