[Samba] samba cluster on multi tiered storage / hierarchial storage management - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] samba cluster on multi tiered storage / hierarchial storage management - Samba ; Hi all, we're looking at future storage technologies and possibilities to use open source software. One thing that looks very promising already is samba clustering with ctdb. However, if we replace all file servers with a single samba cluster, that ...

  1. [Samba] samba cluster on multi tiered storage / hierarchial storage management

    Hi all,

    we're looking at future storage technologies and possibilities to use
    open source software. One thing that looks very promising already is
    samba clustering with ctdb.

    However, if we replace all file servers with a single samba cluster,
    that cluster needs a lot of storage space. A large SAN would do, but
    using fast disks for all of the storage is quite expensive. Using a mix
    of cheap (slow) storage and fast (expensive) storage would satisfy the
    needs much better.

    Some of the data is used frequently, and some of the data is not used
    frequently. A policy driven hierarchial storage management solution for
    the samba ctdb cluster would be great. Keeping often-used blocks on a
    SAN with fast storage, and using cheaper storage for data that hasn't
    been used recently.

    What are good solutions in combination with samba, or should we look at
    something completely different ?

    regards,
    Olivier

  2. Re: [Samba] samba cluster on multi tiered storage / hierarchial storage management

    On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:00:08PM +0100, Olivier Sessink wrote:
    > Some of the data is used frequently, and some of the data is not used
    > frequently. A policy driven hierarchial storage management solution for
    > the samba ctdb cluster would be great. Keeping often-used blocks on a
    > SAN with fast storage, and using cheaper storage for data that hasn't
    > been used recently.
    >
    > What are good solutions in combination with samba, or should we look at
    > something completely different ?

    You might seriously look at GPFS. It has really extensive
    data management capabilities, and te ctdb development is
    mainly done on GPFS these days.

    Volker

  3. Re: [Samba] samba cluster on multi tiered storage / hierarchial storage management

    Le jeudi 31 janvier 2008, Volker Lendecke a écrit*:
    > On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:00:08PM +0100, Olivier Sessink wrote:
    > > Some of the data is used frequently, and some of the data is not used
    > > frequently. A policy driven hierarchial storage management solution for
    > > the samba ctdb cluster would be great. Keeping often-used blocks on a
    > > SAN with fast storage, and using cheaper storage for data that hasn't
    > > been used recently.
    > >
    > > What are good solutions in combination with samba, or should we look at
    > > something completely different ?

    > You might seriously look at GPFS. It has really extensive
    > data management capabilities, and te ctdb development is
    > mainly done on GPFS these days.

    You can go the "hardware" route too. Compellent, for instance, has aging
    policies which do what you want. Samba doesn't even need to be aware of data
    ageing with such hardware.

    --
    Francis Galiegue, One2team - fg@one2team.com
    [ATTENTION : CHANGEMENT DE COORDONNÉES !]