[Samba] A good read - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] A good read - Samba ; Hi, I have been reading the older O'Reilly book on Samba. This book explains in general the concept of NetBIOS and some other related areas. Do you have any recommendations as to what is available to read that will take ...

  1. [Samba] A good read

    Hi,

    I have been reading the older O'Reilly book on Samba. This book explains in general the concept of NetBIOS and some other related areas.

    Do you have any recommendations as to what is available to read that will take me through the world of Windows networking? I am sitting here reading these messages and see things like "requires a flat namespace to function" or "dfs stub server" or "I then bind Samba domain members using 'net ads join -U domain_admin_login'" and I'm am at a loss as to what they are talking about.

    I have read up on how to setup Samba as a PDC but I don't know why I would ever want to. Even if I had enough users in our network I still don't believe there would be any purpose for it. I am leaning more towards using using LDAP for authentication. I would also like to use for host name lookup and some other odds and ends.

    Is there something out there that would take me by the hand and lead me through the decision making process of what to use and when to use it, how to set it up and trouble-shoot it and maybe some other relevant information that would be needed?

    I want to know more about Windows networking but also how to use the best tools available for what makes sense now and in the future.

    Thanks,

    Robert

  2. Re: [Samba] A good read

    have you read Samba 3 by Example? it covers some real world examples,
    ads joins, etc.

    i think you'd want to use a PDC w/ roaming profiles. that way you can
    locate all of your user's data on your server and backup your server
    instead of a lot of clients. and you'll definitely want a PDC/BDC setup
    when you have branch offices. for host name lookup use dynamic dns
    dhcp. there's plenty of howtos on how to set that up too, but I can
    send you my configs too.

    Robert Pollard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been reading the older O'Reilly book on Samba. This book explains in general the concept of NetBIOS and some other related areas.
    >
    > Do you have any recommendations as to what is available to read that will take me through the world of Windows networking? I am sitting here reading these messages and see things like "requires a flat namespace to function" or "dfs stub server" or "I then bind Samba domain members using 'net ads join -U domain_admin_login'" and I'm am at a loss as to what they are talking about.
    >
    > I have read up on how to setup Samba as a PDC but I don't know why I would ever want to. Even if I had enough users in our network I still don't believe there would be any purpose for it. I am leaning more towards using using LDAP for authentication. I would also like to use for host name lookup and some other odds and ends.
    >
    > Is there something out there that would take me by the hand and lead me through the decision making process of what to use and when to use it, how to set it up and trouble-shoot it and maybe some other relevant information that would be needed?
    >
    > I want to know more about Windows networking but also how to use the best tools available for what makes sense now and in the future.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Robert

  3. Re: [Samba] A good read

    On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Robert Pollard wrote:
    > Do you have any recommendations as to what is available to read that
    > will take me through the world of Windows networking?

    Because Samba, as it is today, mainly emulates a Windows NT4 Server when
    used as a PDC it really helps to have that background.

    A book I found quite useful back when I worked exclusively with Windows
    was Mark Minasi's "Mastering Windows NT Server 4". Amazon has used
    copies starting at 1.54 USD.

    --
    Chris

  4. Re: [Samba] A good read

    > > Do you have any recommendations as to what is available to read that
    > > will take me through the world of Windows networking?

    > Because Samba, as it is today, mainly emulates a Windows NT4 Server when
    > used as a PDC it really helps to have that background.
    > A book I found quite useful back when I worked exclusively with Windows
    > was Mark Minasi's "Mastering Windows NT Server 4". Amazon has used
    > copies starting at 1.54 USD.

    "Guide to MS Windows NT 4.0 Profiles and Policies"
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc...l.mspx?pf=true

    --
    Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
    Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com

  5. Re: [Samba] A good read

    >From what I understand of roaming profiles is the only purpose to allow
    users to log into any computer not just their own? I assume this capability
    will download all of their profile settings no matter where they login?

    > have you read Samba 3 by Example? it covers some real world examples, ads
    > joins, etc.
    >
    > i think you'd want to use a PDC w/ roaming profiles. that way you can
    > locate all of your user's data on your server and backup your server
    > instead of a lot of clients. and you'll definitely want a PDC/BDC setup
    > when you have branch offices. for host name lookup use dynamic dns dhcp.
    > there's plenty of howtos on how to set that up too, but I can send you my
    > configs too.
    >
    > Robert Pollard wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have been reading the older O'Reilly book on Samba. This book explains
    >> in general the concept of NetBIOS and some other related areas.
    >>
    >> Do you have any recommendations as to what is available to read that will
    >> take me through the world of Windows networking? I am sitting here
    >> reading these messages and see things like "requires a flat namespace to
    >> function" or "dfs stub server" or "I then bind Samba domain members using
    >> 'net ads join -U domain_admin_login'" and I'm am at a loss as to what
    >> they are talking about.
    >>
    >> I have read up on how to setup Samba as a PDC but I don't know why I
    >> would ever want to. Even if I had enough users in our network I still
    >> don't believe there would be any purpose for it. I am leaning more
    >> towards using using LDAP for authentication. I would also like to use
    >> for host name lookup and some other odds and ends.
    >>
    >> Is there something out there that would take me by the hand and lead me
    >> through the decision making process of what to use and when to use it,
    >> how to set it up and trouble-shoot it and maybe some other relevant
    >> information that would be needed?
    >>
    >> I want to know more about Windows networking but also how to use the best
    >> tools available for what makes sense now and in the future.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Robert

  6. Re: [Samba] A good read

    thats correct. so whatever work station they are at, they'll have their
    my documents, email, etc. we do this because we have a rotating
    schedule of people covering telephones in different areas, so while they
    are on phone duty, they can still do their work and answer email.

    Robert Pollard wrote:
    >> From what I understand of roaming profiles is the only purpose to allow

    > users to log into any computer not just their own? I assume this
    > capability will download all of their profile settings no matter where
    > they login?

  7. RE: [Samba] A good read

    Another good reason is for server backup of users settings(profile)

    Robert Pollard wrote:
    >> From what I understand of roaming profiles is the only purpose to allow

    > users to log into any computer not just their own? I assume this
    > capability will download all of their profile settings no matter where
    > they login?

  8. Re: [Samba] A good read

    >From what I remember of using a system under this type of profile in my
    previous job, there were 2 home directories created when logging in locally
    versus logging in with the domain login.

    For example, I had rpollard as a local user on the computer I used and I had
    rpollard with a domain login and a profile.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but when I create these profiles on the domain
    server and the user logs in, they will lose all of their personal setting
    because it creates a new home directory?

    If this is true, how do I make the transition seamless to using domain based
    profiles?

    Thank!

    > Another good reason is for server backup of users settings(profile)

  9. Re: [Samba] A good read

    I forgot to mention, you may need to change your user from local to
    roaming in the user profiles, settings box also.

    Robert Pollard wrote:
    >> From what I remember of using a system under this type of profile in my

    > previous job, there were 2 home directories created when logging in
    > locally versus logging in with the domain login.
    >
    > For example, I had rpollard as a local user on the computer I used and
    > I had rpollard with a domain login and a profile.
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong but when I create these profiles on the domain
    > server and the user logs in, they will lose all of their personal
    > setting because it creates a new home directory?
    >
    > If this is true, how do I make the transition seamless to using domain
    > based profiles?
    >
    > Thank!
    >
    > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Braker"

  10. Re: [Samba] A good read

    go to my computer properties, user profiles, settings, copy your profile
    to \\server\netlogin\username

    then reboot your computer, join domain, delete your user from the
    computer and c:\documents and settings\username, reboot, login to the
    domain, all your stuff should be there (make backups first!)

    Robert Pollard wrote:
    >> From what I remember of using a system under this type of profile in my

    > previous job, there were 2 home directories created when logging in
    > locally versus logging in with the domain login.
    >
    > For example, I had rpollard as a local user on the computer I used and
    > I had rpollard with a domain login and a profile.
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong but when I create these profiles on the domain
    > server and the user logs in, they will lose all of their personal
    > setting because it creates a new home directory?
    >
    > If this is true, how do I make the transition seamless to using domain
    > based profiles?
    >
    > Thank!
    >
    > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Braker"

  11. RE: [Samba] A good read

    Microsoft has a 'moveuser.exe' utility to move profiles from one user to
    another.

    I believe the Syntax to move from local user 'rpollard' to domain 'rpollard'

    Command Line Syntax:

    moveuser [/y] [/c:computer] [/k]

    moveuser.exe changes the security of a profile from one user to another.
    This allows the account domain to change, and/or the user name to change.

    Arguments:

    user1 Specifies a user who has a local profile.
    user2 Specifies the user who will own user1's profile. This
    account must exist.
    /y Allow overwrite of existing profile.
    /c Specifies the computer to make the changes to.
    /k Specifies if user1 is a local user, then the user account
    should be kept.

    Specify domain users in DOMAIN\USER format. Specify only USER for
    local accounts.

    Brakerm19