[Samba] Samba still asking password - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba still asking password - Samba ; Hi All, I need some help. I installed Samba 3.0.26a from Ubuntu Gutsy repository under kubuntu, and make a share with share permissions (LAN), but he always asks for a password Can you guys have any idea about what is ...

  1. [Samba] Samba still asking password

    Hi All,
    I need some help.
    I installed Samba 3.0.26a from Ubuntu Gutsy repository under kubuntu, and
    make a share with share permissions (LAN), but he always asks for a password

    Can you guys have any idea about what is wrong. I am going crazy with this.

    My samba configuration file is as follow

    [global]
    workgroup = CASA
    dns proxy = no
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    syslog = 0
    encrypt passwords = yes
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    guest account = nobody
    invalid users = root
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
    *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
    *passwd:*password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    security = share
    restrict anonymous = no
    domain master = no
    preferred master = no

    [DADOS]
    case sensitive = no
    strict locking = no
    path = /media/dados
    guest ok = yes

    --
    Marcelo Marzola Bossoni
    **** IC - UNICAMP ****

  2. [Samba] Re: Samba still asking password

    "Marcelo Bossoni" wrote in >message
    >news:4b4a43ee0801281612r127ff831ga28c87530288d77a@ mail.gmail.com...
    >Hi All,
    >I need some help.
    >I installed Samba 3.0.26a from Ubuntu Gutsy repository >under kubuntu, and
    >make a share with share permissions (LAN), but he >always asks for a

    password

    >Can you guys have any idea about what is wrong. I am >going crazy with

    this.

    Share control does not mean that a password is not required. I have used
    user security and share security with Samba in a Windows workgroup.

    With user security, the prompt appears for the username and password when
    someone tries to access the Samba server in network neighborhood.

    With share security, the prompt appears for the username and password when
    someone tries to access a share on the Samba server in network neighborhood.

    In the first case, security is set on the machine. In the second case,
    security is set on the share.

    In general, a user cannot access a Linux machine unless he has an account on
    it. He has access to specific folders when the administrator of the machine
    gives him access to those folders.

    Samba runs as a service on the Linux machine. Each user must have a Samba
    account to access the Linux machine through Samba. Each Samba account is
    mapped to a Linux user account.

    Security on the Samba account is set by setting security on the Linux
    account to which it has been mapped.

    To access a share on the Linux/Samba box, do the following:

    Create a Linux user account on the machine. Set a password for it.

    Create a Samba account on the machine with the same username.

    Give the Linux user security access to the folder to which the Samba share
    is mapped.

    The only way to avoid the prompt for the username and password is to create
    a username and password on the Samba machine that is the same as the
    username and password on the Windows machine from which you accessing the
    Samba machine.

  3. Re: [Samba] Re: Samba still asking password

    Thank you man, but I found the error.
    Nothing with samba, but with Kubuntu fstab approach, that mount the drives
    with umask 007 instead 002 (to permit others to see the content of mount
    point).
    Changing the umask to 002 everything works fine.

    2008/1/30, Jamrock :

    > "Marcelo Bossoni" wrote in >message
    > >news:4b4a43ee0801281612r127ff831ga28c87530288d77a@ mail.gmail.com...
    > >Hi All,
    > >I need some help.
    > >I installed Samba 3.0.26a from Ubuntu Gutsy repository >under kubuntu,

    > and
    > >make a share with share permissions (LAN), but he >always asks for a

    > password
    >
    > >Can you guys have any idea about what is wrong. I am >going crazy with

    > this.
    >

    > Share control does not mean that a password is not required. I have used
    > user security and share security with Samba in a Windows workgroup.
    >
    > With user security, the prompt appears for the username and password when
    > someone tries to access the Samba server in network neighborhood.
    >
    > With share security, the prompt appears for the username and password when
    > someone tries to access a share on the Samba server in network
    > neighborhood.
    >
    > In the first case, security is set on the machine. In the second case,
    > security is set on the share.
    >
    > In general, a user cannot access a Linux machine unless he has an account
    > on
    > it. He has access to specific folders when the administrator of the
    > machine
    > gives him access to those folders.
    >
    > Samba runs as a service on the Linux machine. Each user must have a Samba
    > account to access the Linux machine through Samba. Each Samba account is
    > mapped to a Linux user account.
    >
    > Security on the Samba account is set by setting security on the Linux
    > account to which it has been mapped.
    >
    > To access a share on the Linux/Samba box, do the following:
    >
    > Create a Linux user account on the machine. Set a password for it.
    >
    > Create a Samba account on the machine with the same username.
    >
    > Give the Linux user security access to the folder to which the Samba share
    > is mapped.
    >
    > The only way to avoid the prompt for the username and password is to
    > create
    > a username and password on the Samba machine that is the same as the
    > username and password on the Windows machine from which you accessing the
    > Samba machine.
    >

    > --

    Marcelo Marzola Bossoni
    **** IC - UNICAMP ****