[Samba] Mac Machines taking over Master Browser - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Mac Machines taking over Master Browser - Samba ; For some reason the Macintosh machines on our LAN have started taking over as master browser without actually providing. Mostly these are Leopard machines, and one Tiger machine. We had OS Level set to 255 and that does not seem ...

  1. [Samba] Mac Machines taking over Master Browser

    For some reason the Macintosh machines on our LAN have started taking
    over as master browser without actually providing. Mostly these are
    Leopard machines, and one Tiger machine. We had OS Level set to 255 and
    that does not seem to make a difference.

    [2008/01/16 11:14:27, 0]
    nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:get_domain_master_name_node_stat us_fail(486)
    get_domain_master_name_node_status_fail:
    Doing a node status request to the domain master browser at IP
    192.168.1.153 failed.
    Cannot get workgroup name.

    192.168.1.153 is an iMac running leopard. We are running a samba file
    server that should be responding as our master browser and was until the
    new machines came on the LAN.

    - Joel

  2. Re: [Samba] Mac Machines taking over Master Browser

    On Jan 28, 2008 2:26 PM, JJB wrote:

    > For some reason the Macintosh machines on our LAN have started taking
    > over as master browser without actually providing. Mostly these are
    > Leopard machines, and one Tiger machine. We had OS Level set to 255 and
    > that does not seem to make a difference.
    >
    > [2008/01/16 11:14:27, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:get_domain_master_name_node_stat us_fail(486)
    > get_domain_master_name_node_status_fail:
    > Doing a node status request to the domain master browser at IP
    > 192.168.1.153 failed.
    > Cannot get workgroup name.
    >

    > 192.168.1.153 is an iMac running leopard. We are running a samba file
    > server that should be responding as our master browser and was until the
    > new machines came on the LAN.
    >
    > - Joel
    > --

    Just a knee-jerk reaction, how are you doing network name resolution on the
    samba box?

    Also, do these Macs have machine accounts on the samba server, and netbios
    enabled? I don't know anything about Macs and their derived BSD network
    stack, forgive me ignorance if this does not apply.

    Finally, can you find the master browser election results in your logs? You
    might be able to just reboot the Macs, which should make them lose the
    election due to lower uptime.

    --
    Peace and Blessings,
    -Scott.

    "Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong"
    -Dennis Miller