I expect to be giving idmap_nss a try in the next week or so. I'll let you know how it works out.

________________________________

From: brandon hall [mailto:brandonhall0@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:30 PM
To: Michael St. Laurent
Cc: Hansjörg Maurer; samba@lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] Retry: Mapping AD domain users to UNIX users

About two months ago I actually tried setting up an enviornment in vmware with samba plus using active directory RFC 2307 schema extensions to get username information mapped properly between multiple nfs and samba servers.

I failed because I think documentation at that time using idmap_nss was lacking. I found lots of winbind howtos and documentation, but very little regarding what I wanted to do. I would definately use the latest samba (3.0.25+), even though installing it on solaris is a nightmare, you'll be better off in the long run.

Has anyone successfully done this? I got everything working including kerberos and joining the domains, except for a proper smb.conf file.