[Samba] Weird reproduceable delta after power failure - PDC - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Weird reproduceable delta after power failure - PDC - Samba ; Hello List, i am using Ubuntu Server 6.06 with the smbldap installer script from majen.net/smbldap/ I am using VMWare to run my test systems (Ubuntu server and Windows Domain Clients) After producing a power supply failure (stopping my Ubuntu and ...

  1. [Samba] Weird reproduceable delta after power failure - PDC

    Hello List,

    i am using Ubuntu Server 6.06 with the smbldap installer script from
    majen.net/smbldap/
    I am using VMWare to run my test systems (Ubuntu server and Windows
    Domain Clients)

    After producing a power supply failure (stopping my Ubuntu and windows
    client by the stop button in vmware) and starting them up again i can
    see a delta in my ldap database:

    Before Power failure:
    ----------------------
    uidNumber: 10000
    sambaSID: S-1-5-21-2308582080-1758763575-3976210704-21000
    sambaPwdCanChange: 1201212116
    sambaNTPassword: C880093E1682DA079892FF7FF2AEA911
    sambaPwdLastSet: 1201212116

    After Power failure:
    ----------------------
    uidNumber: 10005
    sambaSID: S-1-5-21-2308582080-1758763575-3976210704-21010
    sambaPwdCanChange: 1201260229
    sambaNTPassword: 2446CE7E7D8B196756E40E80B5EC3A13
    sambaPwdLastSet: 1201260229

    I did not manually change those properties and i wonder who or why they
    changed.

    The result is that my windows client can not log into the domain
    anymore. I have to remove it fro the domain and add it again.

    Has anyone an idea why this is _automatically_ happening?
    Do you need more infos?

    Thanks, Mario

  2. Re: [Samba] Weird reproduceable delta after power failure - PDC

    On Jan 25, 2008 11:16 AM, ml@bortal.de wrote:

    > Hello List,
    >
    > i am using Ubuntu Server 6.06 with the smbldap installer script from
    > majen.net/smbldap/
    > I am using VMWare to run my test systems (Ubuntu server and Windows
    > Domain Clients)
    >
    > After producing a power supply failure (stopping my Ubuntu and windows
    > client by the stop button in vmware) and starting them up again i can
    > see a delta in my ldap database:
    >

    > Before Power failure:
    > ----------------------
    > uidNumber: 10000
    > sambaSID: S-1-5-21-2308582080-1758763575-3976210704-21000
    > sambaPwdCanChange: 1201212116
    > sambaNTPassword: C880093E1682DA079892FF7FF2AEA911
    > sambaPwdLastSet: 1201212116
    >
    > After Power failure:
    > ----------------------
    > uidNumber: 10005
    > sambaSID: S-1-5-21-2308582080-1758763575-3976210704-21010
    > sambaPwdCanChange: 1201260229
    > sambaNTPassword: 2446CE7E7D8B196756E40E80B5EC3A13
    > sambaPwdLastSet: 1201260229
    >

    > I did not manually change those properties and i wonder who or why they
    > changed.
    >
    > The result is that my windows client can not log into the domain
    > anymore. I have to remove it fro the domain and add it again.
    >
    > Has anyone an idea why this is _automatically_ happening?
    > Do you need more infos?
    >
    > Thanks, Mario
    >
    > --

    What file system (journaled?), were you using RAID, and was the VMWare disk
    zeroed out before you used it? It could be silent data corruption (although
    I doubt it), a bug in VMWare, or any number of other nasty things that
    happen when power is pulled with an unflushed buffer. The extra layer of
    complexity that a hypervisor adds to the mix is potentially substantial,
    IMHO. If the file system is journaled, can you get your boot log and see if
    any of the transactions were replayed on fsck during boot?

    Sorry for the dupe, I forgot to CC the mailing list!

    --
    Peace and Blessings,
    -Scott.

    "Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong"
    -Dennis Miller