[Samba] Windows Vista password dialog keeps coming up - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Windows Vista password dialog keeps coming up - Samba ; Hi, I have come to my wits end again (lately, it's a very short trip). I have been trying to connect to Samba 3.0.21b but Windows keeps throwing up the logon dialog. I'm using "Map network drive" to try to ...

  1. [Samba] Windows Vista password dialog keeps coming up

    Hi,

    I have come to my wits end again (lately, it's a very short trip). I have been trying to connect to Samba 3.0.21b but Windows keeps throwing up the logon dialog. I'm using "Map network drive" to try to mount this share.

    It seems the problem is only on the Windows side since I have tested the connection through the Unix account. Both user id and password work fine. I've tested it through the command line on the Unix server using "smbclient //cva/cva_images -U cva" and it works fine there since it gives me the smb prompt and I can execute commands (ls to look at the directory, etc.).

    For some reason I cannot authenticate through Windows (Vista by the way).

    I have 2 other accounts and they work fine. Anything you see in the file that may be something that is stupid please point it out. SMB/NetBIOS, etc. is all relatively new to me. BTW, I've tried it without valid users and it doesn't work.

    The "images" and "bernardy_images" mounts work fine. No authentication problems.

    smb.conf content:

    # Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 192.168.1.103 (192.168.1.103)
    # Date: 2008/01/24 15:29:49

    [global]
    netbios aliases = bernardy, kullback, cva
    wins support = Yes
    valid users = im_user, bernardy

    [bernardy_images]
    comment = Bernardy images for viewing
    path = /data/images/image_viewing/bernardy
    username = bernardy
    valid users = bernardy, im_user, Robert
    read list = bernardy, Robert
    write list = Robert, im_user
    read only = No

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    invalid users = root, admin, bin, daemon, sys, adm, uucp, nuucp, smmsp, listen, gdm, webservd, rpollard, mysql
    valid users = im_user, bernardy, kullback, cva

    [images]
    comment = Image administrator access point
    path = /data/images
    username = im_user
    valid users = im_user
    read only = No

    [kullback_images]
    comment = Viewing directory for Kullback
    path = /data/images/image_viewing/kullback
    username = kullback
    valid users = im_user, kullback
    read list = kullback, im_user
    write list = im_user
    read only = No

    [cva_images]
    comment = CVA image viewing directory
    path = /data/images/image_viewing/cva
    username = cva
    valid users = cva, im_user, Robert
    read list = im_user, cva, Robert
    write list = im_user, Robert
    read only = No

  2. RE: [Samba] Windows Vista password dialog keeps coming up

    By Default Vista clients expect that SMB connections will use NTLMv2
    only. You could set the Vista client local security policy to "Send LM &
    NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated".

    Andrew Philipoff
    Programmer Analyst
    Information Technology Services
    Department of Medicine
    University of California, San Francisco
    Phone: 415-476-1344
    Help Desk: 415-476-6827

[...]

    # Date: 2008/01/24 15:29:49

[...]

  3. RE: [Samba] Windows Vista password dialog keeps coming up

    I don't know the answer to your first question. To edit this local
    security policy on a Vista system:

    Start:Programs:Administrative Tools:Local Security Policy:Local
    Policies:Security Options:Network Security:LAN Manager authentication
    level.

    In the pull-down menu select "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session
    security if negotiated" Then click on the Apply button. It might ask you
    to reboot the system.

    Andrew Philipoff
    Programmer Analyst
    Information Technology Services
    Department of Medicine
    University of California, San Francisco
    Phone: 415-476-1344
    1. Why does 2 accounts work fine and the third one not?
    2. How do you set the local security policy? What app do you use?

    Thanks!

[...]

    # Date: 2008/01/24 15:29:49

[...]

  4. Re: [Samba] Windows Vista password dialog keeps coming up

[...]

    # Date: 2008/01/24 15:29:49

[...]

  5. Re: [Samba] Windows Vista password dialog keeps coming up

    I don't have "Local Security Policy" option in the Administrative menu. Is
    this something else they left out that I have to manually install?

[...]

    # Date: 2008/01/24 15:29:49

[...]

  6. RE: [Samba] Windows Vista password dialog keeps coming up

    What version of Vista are you talking about? I use Vista Business and Ultimate but if you are using Vista Home or Premium, then you need to edit your registry. Start:Run:regedit, change the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel from a 3 to a 1.

    However I did completely overlook the obvious way to solve this, you could enable NTLMv2 support in your smb.conf. By default NTLMv2 auth is not enabled. You would have to add the following and restart smbd:

    client ntlmv2 auth = yes

    >From the smb.conf man page:

    client ntlmv2 auth (G)
    This parameter determines whether or not smbclient(8) will attempt
    to authenticate itself to servers using the NTLMv2 encrypted pass-
    word response.

    If enabled, only an NTLMv2 and LMv2 response (both much more secure
    than earlier versions) will be sent. Many servers (including NT4 <
    SP4, Win9x and Samba 2.2) are not compatible with NTLMv2.

    Similarly, if enabled, NTLMv1, client lanman auth and client plain-
    text auth authentication will be disabled. This also disables
    share-level authentication.

    If disabled, an NTLM response (and possibly a LANMAN response) will
    be sent by the client, depending on the value of client lanman
    auth.

    Note that some sites (particularly those following ‚best practice‚
    security polices) only allow NTLMv2 responses, and not the weaker
    LM or NTLM.

    Default: client ntlmv2 auth = no

[...]

    # Date: 2008/01/24 15:29:49

[...]

  7. Re: [Samba] Windows Vista password dialog keeps coming up

    Just found out through research that since I have Vista Home Premium I can't
    even modify Local Security Policies.

    Any other ideas would be appreciated.

    >I don't have "Local Security Policy" option in the Administrative menu. Is
    >this something else they left out that I have to manually install?

  8. Re: [Samba] Windows Vista password dialog keeps coming up

    Hello again,

    After looking at the smb.conf file again I saw the problem... I had valid
    users set in Globals to the only 2 that could connect, duhhhh.

    Here's the updated config file:
    # Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 192.168.1.103 (192.168.1.103)
    # Date: 2008/01/24 16:48:48

    [global]
    netbios aliases = bernardy, kullback, cva
    client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
    client lanman auth = No
    client plaintext auth = No
    wins support = Yes
    valid users = im_user, bernardy, cva, kullback