[Samba] Hide Home Share for a single user - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Hide Home Share for a single user - Samba ; Hi, Does anyone knows how to hide a home share just for a particular user? Thx Nelson Vale -- To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba...

  1. [Samba] Hide Home Share for a single user

    Hi,

    Does anyone knows how to hide a home share just for a particular user?

    Thx

    Nelson Vale

  2. Re: [Samba] Hide Home Share for a single user

    Nelson Vale wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone knows how to hide a home share just for a particular user?
    >
    > Thx
    >

    > Nelson Vale

    How do you mean hide? So that they can't browse it, or so that they
    cannot see the 'homes' service? And do you mean hide from everyone
    else, or hide from that user themselves?

  3. Re: [Samba] Hide Home Share for a single user

    Hi again,

    > How do you mean hide? So that they can't browse it, or so that they
    > cannot see the 'homes' service?

    What I wan't is to just hide (well wath I'd really wanted was to disable it
    but I don't know if it is possible), the Home Share for one particular user,
    i.e. don't show it when the user browses the available shares.

    The user is not allowed to connect to the share anyway.

    > And do you mean hide from everyone
    > else, or hide from that user themselves?

    The other users have no access to it.

    Thx,

    Nelson Vale

  4. Re: [Samba] Hide Home Share for a single user

    On Jan 24, 2008 2:17 PM, Nelson Vale wrote:

    > Hi again,
    >

    > > How do you mean hide? So that they can't browse it, or so that they
    > > cannot see the 'homes' service?

    > What I wan't is to just hide (well wath I'd really wanted was to disable
    > it
    > but I don't know if it is possible), the Home Share for one particular
    > user,
    > i.e. don't show it when the user browses the available shares.
    >
    > The user is not allowed to connect to the share anyway.
    >
    > > And do you mean hide from everyone
    > > else, or hide from that user themselves?

    > The other users have no access to it.
    >

    > Thx,
    >

    > Nelson Vale

    The most flexible way that I could come up with off the top of my head, is
    to use a custom netlogon script, using the user name variable (%u or %U, I
    can't remember which, there is a subtle difference between them) and
    changing the value of their home path environment variable in Windows. Or,
    if you have logon scripts now, you could just add to it.

    --
    Peace and Blessings,
    -Scott.

    "Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong"
    -Dennis Miller

  5. Re: [Samba] Hide Home Share for a single user

    Nelson Vale wrote:
    > Hi again,
    >

    >> How do you mean hide? So that they can't browse it, or so that they
    >> cannot see the 'homes' service?

    > What I wan't is to just hide (well wath I'd really wanted was to disable it
    > but I don't know if it is possible), the Home Share for one particular user,
    > i.e. don't show it when the user browses the available shares.
    >
    > The user is not allowed to connect to the share anyway.
    >
    >> And do you mean hide from everyone
    >> else, or hide from that user themselves?

    > The other users have no access to it.

    Try the option
    invalid users = joe

    I think the user would still see it when browsing, but couldn't connect.
    That might be a compromise you could accept.

    Regards, Doug