Greetings-

Using Ubuntu 7.04 as the client OS, I am pondering how to automate a bit of "drive mappings" as I did previously with Windows.

1) What is the syntax to mount the user's home share? If possible I would like to variable'ize the username, or not even have to specify it at all. (Assume the user's Linux and Samba user names match.)

2) Suggestions / best practices of how to define a naming standard for all of the mount points for connections to various servers / shares?

I have been considering:
/mnt/servername/sharename

Not exactly multi-user friendly.

2B) Since /home is on its own partition, can I mount Samba shares on that partition, or must the mount point reside on the root partition?

Then my standard might become:
~/mnt/servername/sharename ;-)

3) Must I have a "logoff" script, or when Linux shuts down does it take care of properly ending connections?

4) Is there an equivalent of doing a domain style logon to a Samba PDC from a Linux / Samba client that will run some sort of logon script? If so, then please explain how.

Currently we set:
[global]
logon script = LOGON.BAT
logon drive = I:
logon path =

Thus LOGON.BAT is the name of the script, and the path being set to null disables roaming profiles.

I think this is enough questions for now. Thanks!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems