[Samba] roaming profiles moved to a new machine - big confusion - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] roaming profiles moved to a new machine - big confusion - Samba ; Hello samba dancers, I'm Friedrich Strohmaier and new to this mailing list. More important: I'm (very) new to PDCing Computers in a network, and I ran in big troubles doing so. Try to tell a long story in short: I'm ...

  1. [Samba] roaming profiles moved to a new machine - big confusion

    Hello samba dancers,

    I'm Friedrich Strohmaier and new to this mailing list. More important:
    I'm (very) new to PDCing Computers in a network, and I ran in big
    troubles doing so.

    Try to tell a long story in short: I'm a fairly experienced
    administrator for linux systems, and was orderd to move a
    serverinstallation (SuSE7.0, Samba2.2.x) to a new machine. The old
    machine did stop serving anything more, before I could set up a a
    working system and finish tests.

    That's what I did:
    during the happy times both machines run:
    - I set up the new machine's samba with the cloned configuration from
    the old one for testing purposes (I didn't know better! |)

    - I disabled deprecated settings of samba 2.2.x according to the tesparm
    output.

    - Few days later I changed the new machine's domain entry from DOMAIN to
    DOMAINTEST (from this moment the new machine was no longer a second
    PDC in one domain. again: I didn't know better.. ))) Everything went
    fine!

    - I run tests with one win2000 client, which I introduced to DOMAINTEST
    and noticed that problem of accessing files in the shares described
    below (that client is one of the two having problems of share files
    access)

    after the old machine stopped serving:
    - I imported all of the old machines files except samba3 adapted
    /etc/samba/smb.conf

    - I restarted samba service

    Now I have this:
    - A running linux-box ubuntu 6.06.1 dapper drake LTS

    - A running samba Version 3.0.22

    - about 30 windows2000 clients which can't load their roaming profiles,
    but have acess to their shares

    - 2 windows2000 clients, which load their roaming profiles (after again
    beeing introduced to the domain), but have problems to access files
    of their shares (aparently the win user logged in, is not recognized
    as a welcome user to them)

    - a complete backup of the files from the old machine

    Now there are two tasks for me:
    1) getting the roaming profiles work again _and_ have good access to the
    share files. The latter is the more important.

    Does anyone see the problem and probably the solution (and can give the
    hint for it ;o)))?

    2) take care, that _before_ the profiles will be loaded properly _all_
    of the meanwhile locally saved profiles are transferred in the samba
    servers profile directories.

    What to care for while transferring the profiles -except to adjust the
    unix permissions and ownership properly?

    What is the shortest way, to get all in a working state?

    Any help to get enlighted as well pointers to apropriate docu targets
    are much apreciated. ))

    btw.: If anyone reading this mail is located south part of Stuttart
    Germany (location is Nürtingen) can give local support - please contact
    me.

    Details:

    ++++++++++++ Output testparm ++++++++++++
    Processing section "[netlogon]"
    Processing section "[homes]"
    Processing section "[cdrom]"
    Processing section "[printers]"
    Processing section "[leitung]"
    Processing section "[verwalt]"
    Processing section "[mitarb]"
    Processing section "[share]"
    Loaded services file OK.
    Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

    [global]
    unix charset = CP850
    workgroup = INBUS
    interfaces = 192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0, 127.0.0.1
    map to guest = Bad User
    log level = 2
    keepalive = 30
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    logon script = %U.bat
    domain logons = Yes
    os level = 65
    domain master = Yes
    kernel oplocks = No
    passdb expand explicit = No

    [netlogon]
    comment = Login Verzeichnis mit Batch Dateien
    path = /netlogon
    username = @gf
    read only = No
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0775
    browseable = No

    [homes]
    comment = Heimatverzeichnis
    read only = No
    create mask = 0750
    browseable = No

    [cdrom]
    comment = Linux CD-ROM
    path = /cdrom
    guest only = Yes
    guest ok = Yes
    locking = No

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /tmp
    create mask = 0700
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

    [leitung]
    comment = Geschaeftsleitung
    path = /usr/leitung
    valid users = @gf
    write list = @gf
    force group = gf
    read only = No
    create mask = 0770
    force create mode = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    force directory mode = 0770
    browseable = No

    [verwalt]
    comment = Verwaltung
    path = /usr/verwalt
    valid users = @vw
    write list = @vw
    force group = vw
    read only = No
    create mask = 0770
    force create mode = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    force directory mode = 0770
    browseable = No

    [mitarb]
    comment = Mitarbeiter
    path = /usr/mitarb
    username = @ma
    force group = ma
    read only = No
    create mask = 0770
    directory mask = 0770

    [share]
    comment = Dokumentation Linux
    path = /usr/share
    valid users = @gf
    write list = harder
    force group = gf
    read only = No
    create mask = 0770
    force create mode = 0770
    directory mask = 0770
    force directory mode = 0770
    browseable = No
    ++++++++++++ Output testparm ++++++++++++

    --
    Friedrich
    beste Grüße/best regards

  2. Re: [Samba] roaming profiles moved to a new machine - big confusion

    Hi Dale,

    thanks a lot for your hints,
    I suppose your accordance to be quotet on the mailinglist..

    Dale Schroeder wrote:

    >here is documentation to help you with the migration.
    >http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/.../upgrades.html

    aparently, I followed that _not_ todo step by step. I suppose it was
    written, because I'm not the only one. ))

    >Roaming profiles:
    >http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id425774

    I'm digging that stuff while resting from keeping workstations beeing
    workstations. ;o))

    >Good luck,

    As far as I learned, this seems to be a main chapter in the manual of a
    Windows domain administrator. ))

    Thanks again.
    --
    Friedrich