Re: [Samba] need wins understanding - Samba

This is a discussion on Re: [Samba] need wins understanding - Samba ; Cool. So the servers should not do anything bad to each other becasue they are both running wins? Is this correct? Also I can disable broadcasting on both servers as well. I don't have to but I can. Thanks again ...

  1. Re: [Samba] need wins understanding

    Cool.

    So the servers should not do anything bad to each other becasue they are
    both running wins? Is this correct? Also I can disable broadcasting on
    both servers as well.
    I don't have to but I can.

    Thanks again

    Dominic

    > As far as I know, the behavior of your network will be that clients
    > configured to use the first WINS server will not know of the existence
    > of the machines that uses the other WINS server, and vice versa. If
    > thats a problem or not, it depends if you wish that these two domains
    > interact with each other. But if I remember right at least the two
    > servers will know of each other (as only the clients brodcast behavior
    > was disabled) and so all clients will know about the two servers.
    >

    > Regards.
    >
    > Edmundo Valle Neto
    >
    > --

  2. Re: [Samba] need wins understanding

    Dominic Iadicicco escreveu:
    > Cool.
    >
    > So the servers should not do anything bad to each other becasue they are
    > both running wins? Is this correct? Also I can disable broadcasting on
    > both servers as well.
    > I don't have to but I can.
    >

    > Thanks again
    >
    > Dominic

    (...)

    They will not clash or fight with each other trying to be the "master
    WINS" if thats what you are asking. The reasons that you should not
    use more than one is exactly the contrary, both will ignore each other
    and clients that register or use one to make a query will not use the
    other, ending with only partial knowledge of the neighborhood. (but
    seems that its what you want)

    About trying to do more than that and disable the broadcast of the
    servers, I simply never tried/needed to do anything like that. As I
    never saw any reason to do so and as a security measure I don't see it
    being all that usefull either.

    Regards.

    Edmundo Valle Neto