[Samba] Samba PDC kills WinXP - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba PDC kills WinXP - Samba ; Hi, I have a little problem with my Samba PDC setup. I have a Debian / Etch with Samba 3.0.24 with OpenLDAP Backend and use it as PDC with domain logons and roaming profiles enabled. The logon for normal domain ...

  1. [Samba] Samba PDC kills WinXP

    Hi,

    I have a little problem with my Samba PDC setup.
    I have a Debian / Etch with Samba 3.0.24 with OpenLDAP Backend and use
    it as PDC with domain logons and roaming profiles enabled.
    The logon for normal domain users work without any problems, but when I
    login with my domain administrator account my Windows XP Professional
    client I have a big problem.
    After the logout, when it tries to copy the user data back to the
    profiles folder on my samba server it freezes.
    Then I have to restart.
    After this I cannot boot into Windows anymore, as some files from the
    C:\Windows\system32 directory are missing.

    My smb.conf is attached.

    Cheers,
    Markus

    #
    # Sample configuration file for the Samba suite for Debian GNU/Linux.
    #
    #
    # This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
    # smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
    # here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options most of which
    # are not shown in this example
    #
    # Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
    # is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
    # for commentary and a ; for parts of the config file that you
    # may wish to enable
    #
    # NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
    # "testparm" to check that you have not many any basic syntactic
    # errors.
    #

    #======================= Global Settings =======================

    [global]

    ## Browsing/Identification ###

    # Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
    workgroup = FET
    netbios name = atlas

    # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    server string = Atlas has it all

    # Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
    # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server
    ; wins support = no

    # WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
    # Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
    ; wins server = w.x.y.z

    # This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
    dns proxy = no

    # What naming service and in what order should we use to resolve host names
    # to IP addresses
    ; name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

    unix extensions = yes

    #### Debugging/Accounting ####

    # This tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
    # that connects
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    log level = 3

    # Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
    max log size = 1000

    # If you want Samba to only log through syslog then set the following
    # parameter to 'yes'.
    ; syslog only = no

    # We want Samba to log a minimum amount of information to syslog. Everything
    # should go to /var/log/samba/log.{smbd,nmbd} instead. If you want to log
    # through syslog you should set the following parameter to something higher.
    syslog = 0

    # Do something sensible when Samba crashes: mail the admin a backtrace

    ####### Authentication #######

    # "security = user" is always a good idea. This will require a Unix account
    # in this server for every user accessing the server. See
    # /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/ServerType.html in the samba-doc
    # package for details.
    security = user

    # You may wish to use password encryption. See the section on
    # 'encrypt passwords' in the smb.conf(5) manpage before enabling.
    encrypt passwords = true

    # If you are using encrypted passwords, Samba will need to know what
    # password database type you are using.
    passdb backend = tdbsam

    obey pam restrictions = yes

    guest account = nobody
    ; invalid users = root

    # This boolean parameter controls whether Samba attempts to sync the Unix
    # password with the SMB password when the encrypted SMB password in the
    # passdb is changed.
    ; unix password sync = no

    # For Unix password sync to work on a Debian GNU/Linux system, the following
    # parameters must be set (thanks to Augustin Luton for
    # sending the correct chat script for the passwd program in Debian Potato).
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .

    # This boolean controls whether PAM will be used for password changes
    # when requested by an SMB client instead of the program listed in
    # 'passwd program'. The default is 'no'.
    ; pam password change = no

    ########## Domain Control ##########

    domain logons = yes
    logon script = logon.bat

    # IP removed for privacy reasons
    logon path = \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\profile

    profile acls = yes
    hide files = /desktop.ini/ntuser.ini/NTUSER.*/?humbs.db/
    os level = 55
    domain master = yes
    preferred master = yes

    # FQDN changed for privacy reasons
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldapserver.mydomain.at/
    ldap admin dn = "cn=smbadmin,ou=eumel,dc=fet,dc=at"
    ldap ssl = start_tls
    ldap suffix = dc=fet,dc=at
    ldap user suffix = ou=wappler
    ldap group suffix = ou=gruppen
    ldap idmap suffix = ou=idmap,ou=eumel
    ldap machine suffix = ou=kraxen,ou=wappler
    ldap passwd sync = yes
    ; ldap filter = "(&(uid=%U)(objectclass=sambaSamAccount))"
    time server = yes
    ; username map = /etc/samba/username_map
    template shell = /bin/bash

    # Winbind stuff, we don't currently use it
    idmap uid = 150000-550000
    idmap gid = 150000-550000
    # FQDN changed for privacy reasons
    idmap backend = ldap:ldap://ldapserver.mydomain.at/

    add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
    delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
    add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
    delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
    add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
    delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
    set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"

    ########## Printing ##########

    # If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
    # than setting them up individually then you'll need this
    ; load printers = yes

    # lpr(ng) printing. You may wish to override the location of the
    # printcap file
    ; printing = bsd
    ; printcap name = /etc/printcap

    # CUPS printing. See also the cupsaddsmb(8) manpage in the
    # cupsys-client package.
    ; printing = cups
    ; printcap name = cups

    # When using [print$], root is implicitly a 'printer admin', but you can
    # also give this right to other users to add drivers and set printer
    # properties
    ; printer admin = @ntadmin

    ######## File sharing ########

    # Name mangling options
    ; preserve case = yes
    ; short preserve case = yes

    ############ Misc ############

    # Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
    # See smb.conf(5) and /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/speed.html
    # for details
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    unix charset = UTF8
    display charset = UTF8

    #======================= Share Definitions =======================

    [save]
    path = /mnt/save/
    writable = yes
    create mask = 644

    # alles fuer die Domaene
    [netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /home/samba/netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = no
    ; share modes = no

    [profile]
    comment = Profildaten
    path = /home/samba/profile/%U
    valid users = %U
    read only = no
    guest ok = no
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC kills WinXP

    Hi Markus,

    I'm no samba god, but You habe two lines of
    passdb backend in use. Are You sure that is correct?

    Kind regards,

    Martin

    Markus Bajones schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a little problem with my Samba PDC setup.

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC kills WinXP

    On Monday 21 January 2008, Martin Petersen wrote:
    > I'm no samba god, but You habe two lines of
    > passdb backend in use. Are You sure that is correct?

    At best it's a confusing practice (one reason I advocate synonym
    deprecation). I think that with duplicate parameter entries the last
    one found takes precedence. A testparm shold confirm this.

    --
    Chris

  4. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC kills WinXP

    Markus,

    I took out most of the comments so that I could follow what you have.
    I see three possibilities.
    1. You have two passdb backend's defined.
    2. I believe the share is called [profiles] instead of [profile]
    3. Normally the "profile acls" and "hide files" would be placed in
    [profiles] instead of [global].

    Perhaps someone else can see something else.

    Dale

    #======================= Global Settings =======================

    [global]

    workgroup = FET
    netbios name = atlas
    server string = Atlas has it all

    dns proxy = no
    unix extensions = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    log level = 3
    max log size = 1000
    syslog = 0

    security = user
    encrypt passwords = true
    *passdb backend = tdbsam *
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    guest account = nobody

    Markus Bajones wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a little problem with my Samba PDC setup.
    > I have a Debian / Etch with Samba 3.0.24 with OpenLDAP Backend and use
    > it as PDC with domain logons and roaming profiles enabled.
    > The logon for normal domain users work without any problems, but when
    > I login with my domain administrator account my Windows XP
    > Professional client I have a big problem.
    > After the logout, when it tries to copy the user data back to the
    > profiles folder on my samba server it freezes.
    > Then I have to restart.
    > After this I cannot boot into Windows anymore, as some files from the
    > C:\Windows\system32 directory are missing.
    >
    > My smb.conf is attached.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Markus

  5. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC kills WinXP

    Thanks for the advice.
    I'll give it a try tomorrow.

    Markus

    On Jan 21, 2008, at 9:52 PM, Dale Schroeder wrote:

> [...]
    > valid users = %U
    > read only = no
    > guest ok = no
    > browseable = no
    > writeable = yes
    >

    > Markus Bajones wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a little problem with my Samba PDC setup.
    >> I have a Debian / Etch with Samba 3.0.24 with OpenLDAP Backend and
    >> use it as PDC with domain logons and roaming profiles enabled.
    >> The logon for normal domain users work without any problems, but
    >> when I login with my domain administrator account my Windows XP
    >> Professional client I have a big problem.
    >> After the logout, when it tries to copy the user data back to the
    >> profiles folder on my samba server it freezes.
    >> Then I have to restart.
    >> After this I cannot boot into Windows anymore, as some files from
    >> the C:\Windows\system32 directory are missing.

  6. Re: [Samba] Samba PDC kills WinXP

    > I think that with duplicate parameter entries the last
    > one found takes precedence. A testparm shold confirm this.

    Thank You for the insight. Just read in Using Samba that the last
    mentioning of a parameter/value pair is valid.

    So, thanks.