[Samba] inotify trouble - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] inotify trouble - Samba ; Hello there This morning our main Samba server was pretty unresponsive running at a 30+ load average. After digging a bit what I found in the logs was the following. No data on inotify fd?! [2008/01/21 07:02:59, 0] smbd/notify_inotify.c:inotify_handler(234) That ...

  1. [Samba] inotify trouble

    Hello there

    This morning our main Samba server was pretty unresponsive running at a
    30+ load average.
    After digging a bit what I found in the logs was the following.

    No data on inotify fd?!
    [2008/01/21 07:02:59, 0] smbd/notify_inotify.c:inotify_handler(234)

    That entry appears a billion zillion times in the log file until the
    file system is filled up leaving no space on the device and sending
    samba into oblivion.

    Anyone knows what is causing this? I never had that before having run a
    lot of different samba versions.

    I also found a couple of entries in the logs like this.

    [2008/01/18 15:50:46, 1] smbd/notify_inotify.c:watch_destructor(342)
    inotify_rm_watch returned Invalid argument

    This doesn't seem to cause any trouble though.

    Samba: 3.0.28
    Kernel: 2.6.20.3

    Help is greatly appreciated

    Regards
    Rob

  2. Re: [Samba] inotify trouble

    On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 09:15:15AM +0100, Robert Gehr wrote:
    > This morning our main Samba server was pretty unresponsive running at a
    > 30+ load average.
    > After digging a bit what I found in the logs was the following.
    >
    > No data on inotify fd?!
    > [2008/01/21 07:02:59, 0] smbd/notify_inotify.c:inotify_handler(234)
    >
    > That entry appears a billion zillion times in the log file until the
    > file system is filled up leaving no space on the device and sending
    > samba into oblivion.

    It filled the disk? Do you have "max log size = 0" set? I
    would have expected Samba to rotate the logs. Or do you log
    to syslog?

    > I also found a couple of entries in the logs like this.
    >
    > [2008/01/18 15:50:46, 1] smbd/notify_inotify.c:watch_destructor(342)
    > inotify_rm_watch returned Invalid argument

    I'll have to look at the code, but this might be the same
    reason.

    As a workaround, you might want to set "kernel change notify = no"

    Do you still have the log files around from when this all
    started? Without a way to somehow reproduce it, I'd guess
    this will be quite difficult to fix.

    Volker

+ Reply to Thread