[Samba] Can't see my home directory - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Can't see my home directory - Samba ; I have a strange problem. I use samba for most of my network activity, even though most of it is linux to linux. On every machine except this laptop I can see my home directory on the file/print/mail server. On ...

  1. [Samba] Can't see my home directory

    I have a strange problem. I use samba for most of my network activity, even
    though most of it is linux to linux. On every machine except this laptop I
    can see my home directory on the file/print/mail server. On this laptop I
    can see all the other shares, but not my home directory.

    Since everything works on the others, the server end must be OK. That puts
    the problem fair and square onto this laptop, but I've run out of ideas for
    checking. I now need kicking in the right direction, please.

    Anne

  2. Re: [Samba] Can't see my home directory

    On Jan 20, 2008 2:54 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:

    > I have a strange problem. I use samba for most of my network activity,
    > even
    > though most of it is linux to linux. On every machine except this laptop
    > can see my home directory on the file/print/mail server. On this laptop I
    > can see all the other shares, but not my home directory.
    >
    > Since everything works on the others, the server end must be OK. That
    > puts
    > the problem fair and square onto this laptop, but I've run out of ideas
    > for
    > checking. I now need kicking in the right direction, please.

    What do you mean can not see?

    Also what version of samba are you using?

    John

  3. Re: [Samba] Can't see my home directory

    On Sunday 20 January 2008 19:58:29 John Drescher wrote:
    > On Jan 20, 2008 2:54 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
    > > I have a strange problem. I use samba for most of my network activity,
    > > even
    > > though most of it is linux to linux. On every machine except this laptop
    > > can see my home directory on the file/print/mail server. On this laptop
    > > I can see all the other shares, but not my home directory.
    > >
    > > Since everything works on the others, the server end must be OK. That
    > > puts
    > > the problem fair and square onto this laptop, but I've run out of ideas
    > > for
    > > checking. I now need kicking in the right direction, please.

    > What do you mean can not see?

    I can't browse the home directory in konqueror, and I can't attach to it in
    korganizer.

    > Also what version of samba are you using?

    3.0.25b

    Anne

  4. Re: [Samba] Can't see my home directory

    > > What do you mean can not see?
    > >

    > I can't browse the home directory in konqueror, and I can't attach to it
    > in
    > korganizer.
    >
    > > Also what version of samba are you using?

    > 3.0.25b

    I have seen similar behavior on some XP clients at work after upgrading from
    3.0.24 to any version above that. What happens is that the share shows up
    but when it is opened an error box on the client pops up instantly saying
    that the share is not available but ever other share on the same machine
    works and all other clients can use the share that is not available on the
    one machine. I believe this problem is related to msdfs. Also after a few
    reboots (of the client) and restarting the samba server the problem appears
    to disappear.

    John

  5. Re: [Samba] Can't see my home directory

    Anne Wilson wrote:
    > On Sunday 20 January 2008 19:58:29 John Drescher wrote:
    >> On Jan 20, 2008 2:54 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
    >>> I have a strange problem. I use samba for most of my network activity,
    >>> even
    >>> though most of it is linux to linux. On every machine except this laptop
    >>> can see my home directory on the file/print/mail server. On this laptop
    >>> I can see all the other shares, but not my home directory.
    >>>
    >>> Since everything works on the others, the server end must be OK. That
    >>> puts
    >>> the problem fair and square onto this laptop, but I've run out of ideas
    >>> for
    >>> checking. I now need kicking in the right direction, please.

    >> What do you mean can not see?
    >>

    > I can't browse the home directory in konqueror, and I can't attach to it in
    > korganizer.
    >
    >> Also what version of samba are you using?

    > 3.0.25b

    Anne,

    At this point, I would test compiling from source and see if the
    problem remains. You can do it in about 5 minutes.

    (1) download the latest samba-rev#.tar.gz;
    (2) unzip it with "tar -xzf samba-rev#.tar.gz"
    (3) change into the new samba-rev# directory
    (4) actually read/browse the README file
    (5) cd into the new samba-rev#/source directory
    (6) run "sh autogen.sh"
    (7) For Mandriva 2005LE, the ./configure was:

    ../configure --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share --mandir=/usr/share
    --with-configdir=/etc/samba --with-privatedir=/etc/samba --target=i686

    To check, just make sure smbclient is in /usr/bin, smbd and nmbd are in
    /usr/sbin and smb.conf is in /etc/samba. If so the above configure will work

    (8) make && make install
    (9) restart samba and test
    (10) if it doesn't work, or all goes awry, then just:

    make revert

    and it will reload your current 3.0.25b

    --
    David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
    Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

  6. Re: [Samba] Can't see my home directory

    On Sunday 20 Jan 2008, David C. Rankin wrote:
    > Anne Wilson wrote:

    > >> What do you mean can not see?

    > > I can't browse the home directory in konqueror, and I can't attach to it
    > > in korganizer.
    > >
    > >> Also what version of samba are you using?

    > > 3.0.25b

    > Anne,
    >
    > At this point, I would test compiling from source and see if the
    > problem remains. You can do it in about 5 minutes.
    >
    > (1) download the latest samba-rev#.tar.gz;
    > (2) unzip it with "tar -xzf samba-rev#.tar.gz"
    > (3) change into the new samba-rev# directory
    > (4) actually read/browse the README file
    > (5) cd into the new samba-rev#/source directory
    > (6) run "sh autogen.sh"
    > (7) For Mandriva 2005LE, the ./configure was:
    >
    > ./configure --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share --mandir=/usr/share
    > --with-configdir=/etc/samba --with-privatedir=/etc/samba --target=i686
    >
    > To check, just make sure smbclient is in /usr/bin, smbd and nmbd are in
    > /usr/sbin and smb.conf is in /etc/samba. If so the above configure will
    > work
    >
    > (8) make && make install
    > (9) restart samba and test
    > (10) if it doesn't work, or all goes awry, then just:
    >
    > make revert
    >
    > and it will reload your current 3.0.25b

    Before I do this -

    The laptop that cannot read the server is running 3.0.25b. The server is
    running 3.0.24. Does that make any difference/

    I assume that you meant me to do this install on the laptop (client) ?

    Anne

  7. Re: [Samba] Can't see my home directory

    Anne Wilson wrote:
    > On Sunday 20 Jan 2008, David C. Rankin wrote:
    >> Anne Wilson wrote:

    >>> I can't browse the home directory in konqueror, and I can't attach to it
    >>> in korganizer.

    >>> 3.0.25b

    >> Anne,
    >>
    >> At this point, I would test compiling from source and see if the
    >> problem remains. You can do it in about 5 minutes.
    >>
    >> (1) download the latest samba-rev#.tar.gz;
    >> (2) unzip it with "tar -xzf samba-rev#.tar.gz"
    >> (3) change into the new samba-rev# directory
    >> (4) actually read/browse the README file
    >> (5) cd into the new samba-rev#/source directory
    >> (6) run "sh autogen.sh"
    >> (7) For Mandriva 2005LE, the ./configure was:
    >>
    >> ./configure --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share --mandir=/usr/share
    >> --with-configdir=/etc/samba --with-privatedir=/etc/samba --target=i686
    >>
    >> To check, just make sure smbclient is in /usr/bin, smbd and nmbd are in
    >> /usr/sbin and smb.conf is in /etc/samba. If so the above configure will
    >> work
    >>
    >> (8) make && make install
    >> (9) restart samba and test
    >> (10) if it doesn't work, or all goes awry, then just:
    >>
    >> make revert
    >>
    >> and it will reload your current 3.0.25b
    >>

    > Before I do this -
    >
    > The laptop that cannot read the server is running 3.0.25b. The server is
    > running 3.0.24. Does that make any difference/
    >
    > I assume that you meant me to do this install on the laptop (client) ?
    >
    > Anne

    No,

    I was talking about the server. I can't recall if it was 3.0.23, .24,
    or .25, but somewhere in there problems were introduced that effects the
    SID/GID and caused a number of problems. Since it doesn't take that
    long, I'd do both server and laptop.

    That is the rub about mandriva, nobody is building samba rpms anymore.
    I built samba from source for the past 2 years on 2005LE, until I
    replaced the server with openSuSE 10.3. Wonderful support for samba rpms.

    --
    David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
    Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

  8. Re: [Samba] Can't see my home directory

    On Tuesday 22 January 2008 14:03:55 David C. Rankin wrote:
    > ********I was talking about the server. I can't recall ifit was 3.0.23,
    > .24, or .25, but somewhere in there problems were introduced that effects
    > the SID/GID and caused a number of problems. Since it doesn't take that
    > long, I'd do both server and laptop.

    It's odd, though, that the problem only affects this one laptop. The ancient
    laptop that was my stopgap while this was being repaired didn't have the
    problem, and I had Mandriva 2008 on that as well.

    > ********That is the rub about mandriva, nobody is building samba rpms
    > anymore. I built samba from source for the past 2 years on 2005LE, until I
    > replaced the server with openSuSE 10.3. Wonderful support for samba rpms.

    I'm tempted to leave this for the moment. I'm just configuring a new server
    box with CentOS. I shall see tomorrow whether samba gives me full access to
    that box. If it does, I'll not worry about the out-going one.

    I HATE mysteries!

    Anne

  9. Re: [Samba] Can't see my home directory

    Anne Wilson wrote:
    > On Tuesday 22 January 2008 14:03:55 David C. Rankin wrote:
    >> I was talking about the server. I can't recall if it was 3.0.23,
    >> .24, or .25, but somewhere in there problems were introduced that effects
    >> the SID/GID and caused a number of problems. Since it doesn't take that
    >> long, I'd do both server and laptop.
    >>

    > It's odd, though, that the problem only affects this one laptop. The ancient
    > laptop that was my stopgap while this was being repaired didn't have the
    > problem, and I had Mandriva 2008 on that as well.
    >
    >> That is the rub about mandriva, nobody is building samba rpms
    >> anymore. I built samba from source for the past 2 years on 2005LE, until I
    >> replaced the server with openSuSE 10.3. Wonderful support for samba rpms.

    > I'm tempted to leave this for the moment. I'm just configuring a new server
    > box with CentOS. I shall see tomorrow whether samba gives me full access to
    > that box. If it does, I'll not worry about the out-going one.
    >
    > I HATE mysteries!
    >
    > Anne

    They're just somethings in this world, you just can't explain...Charley
    Daniels Band

    --
    David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
    Rankin Law Firm, PLLC