[Samba] Multiple mounts instead of remounting? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Multiple mounts instead of remounting? - Samba ; I'm having issues trying to remount any shares using samba. Super Short version mount -o remount /some_windows_share creates a duplicate mount instead of properly remounting. Full details... I have many shares served off of NT4 boxes, mounted via samba on ...

  1. [Samba] Multiple mounts instead of remounting?

    I'm having issues trying to remount any shares using samba.

    Super Short version
    mount -o remount /some_windows_share creates a duplicate mount instead
    of properly remounting.

    Full details...
    I have many shares served off of NT4 boxes, mounted via samba on a
    linux box (RHEL 4).
    Since long dormant (>12 hour) shares from one server in particular
    always have problems for a few seconds when accessing files, I altered
    my scripts to mount -o remount. I expected it would freshen the
    mount. Instead of doing a remount however, it appears to be mounting
    _over_ the original. Not really what I wanted. Any idea why it's
    doing this? I wanted to avoid doing an unmount then a mount, as some
    of these scripts may, on ocasion, be run in parallel. I know at least
    on local drives remounting while in use (at least for read
    operations), doesn't appear to cause problems..

    Thanks,
    Kyle

  2. [Samba] Multiple mounts instead of remounting?