[Samba] Do I need Winbind? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Do I need Winbind? - Samba ; With a recent upgrade to Centos 4.6 my system's Samba was also upgraded to 3.0.25b. But now I get a series of auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_administrators(792) and auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_users(758) errors every day. As I understand it winbind allows users to be logged in as ...

  1. [Samba] Do I need Winbind?

    With a recent upgrade to Centos 4.6 my system's Samba was also upgraded
    to 3.0.25b. But now I get a series of
    auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_administrators(792) and
    auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_users(758) errors every day.

    As I understand it winbind allows users to be logged in as Linux users
    when they log in as Windows users. But since I don't want them to have
    access to the Linux server can I simply disable Winbind and how would I
    do it?

    Would I need Winbind if I want to upgrade the server to handle ACL?

    Boaz

  2. Re: [Samba] Do I need Winbind?

    On Friday 04 January 2008, Boaz Bezborodko wrote:
    > As I understand it winbind allows users to be logged in as Linux
    > users when they log in as Windows users.

    winbind allows authentication to be done by a Microsft domain controller

    --
    Chris