[Samba] Access Denied when installing drivers using APW - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Access Denied when installing drivers using APW - Samba ; I'm trying to install print drivers onto my samba 3.0.28 server (Fedora Core 8) following the Add Printer Wizard Driver Installation directions here: http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id388379 Unfortunately, when I try to add the print driver, I receive a Windows "Add Printer Driver ...

  1. [Samba] Access Denied when installing drivers using APW

    I'm trying to install print drivers onto my samba 3.0.28 server (Fedora Core
    8) following the Add Printer Wizard Driver Installation directions here:

    http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id388379

    Unfortunately, when I try to add the print driver, I receive a Windows "Add
    Printer Driver Wizard : Unable to install Ghostscript PDF, Windows 2000 or
    XP, Intel driver. Access is Denied" error message. Trying to add a printer
    using the Add Printer wizard results in a similar "Add Printer Wizard :
    Printer driver was not installed. Access is denied."

    The Samba server is a stand-alone server. I'm connecting to the Samba
    server from an XP machine, using the net use \\acro1\print$ /user:root
    command to make sure that I'm connected as root. I've also run smbstatus to
    ensure that I'm connected as root:

    [root@acro1 samba]# smbstatus

    Samba version 3.0.28-0.fc8
    PID Username Group Machine
    2234 root root xp-vinsco (10.1.1.147)

    Service pid machine Connected at
    print$ 2234 xp-vinsco Thu Jan 3 16:09:40 2008
    IPC$ 2234 xp-vinsco Thu Jan 3 16:16:27 2008

    Locked files:
    Pid Uid DenyMode Access R/W Oplock
    SharePath Name Time
    2234 0 DENY_NONE 0x100001 RDONLY NONE
    /etc/samba/drivers . Thu Jan 3 16:10:00 2008

    The server is not running SELINUX, and the samba install seems to work fine
    otherwise (meaning I can connect to a test share as root and edit files just
    fine). Below is my smb.conf. Note that this server is being setup to use
    Acrophobia (http://acrophobia.sourceforge.net), which is where the ePDF.py
    scripts are from. I've contacted the author, but Acrophobia is currently
    only supported on Fedora Core 3. It's also my inexperienced feeling that my
    problem is a SAMBA problem rather than a problem with one of his scripts.

    Any help or other ideas for debugging this would be greatly appreciated.

    Scott

    #Global Settings =====================================

    [global]
    addprinter command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --addprinter
    map to guest = Bad User
    guest account = pcguest
    show add printer wizard = Yes

    workgroup = rbh
    server string = Linux ePDF Server

    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50

    security = user
    passdb backend = smbpasswd

    local master = no
    wins server = 10.1.19.84
    load printers = yes
    cups options = raw
    printing = lprng

    #Share Definitions ==============================

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes

    [print$]
    comment = Print Drivers
    path = /etc/samba/drivers
    guest ok = yes
    write list = root

    [test]
    path = /etc/samba
    guest ok = no
    writable = yes
    write list = root

    [basepdf]
    comment =
    queueresume command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --endbatch --user %U
    printable = yes
    print command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --jobname '%J' --user %U %s
    guest ok = yes
    path = /var/spool/ePDF/basepdf
    printer name = Acrophobia PDF Printer
    queuepause command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --startbatch --user %U
    lpq command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --qstat --workdir '[%S]' --user %U

  2. [Samba] Re: Access Denied when installing drivers using APW - Solved

    You can ignore this post. I finally realized that I still had SELINUX enabled.

    Scott Vintinner wrote:
> [...]
    > printable = yes
    >
    > [print$]
    > comment = Print Drivers
    > path = /etc/samba/drivers
    > guest ok = yes
    > write list = root
    >
    > [test]
    > path = /etc/samba
    > guest ok = no
    > writable = yes
    > write list = root
    >
    > [basepdf]
    > comment =
    > queueresume command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --endbatch --user %U
    > printable = yes
    > print command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --jobname '%J' --user %U %s
    > guest ok = yes
    > path = /var/spool/ePDF/basepdf
    > printer name = Acrophobia PDF Printer
    > queuepause command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --startbatch --user %U
    > lpq command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --qstat --workdir '[%S]' --user %U

  3. Re: [Samba] Re: Access Denied when installing drivers using APW - Solved

    Which you should. SELinux can certainly be made to work with Samba.

    Scott Vintinner wrote:
> [...]
    >> printable = yes
    >>
    >> [print$]
    >> comment = Print Drivers
    >> path = /etc/samba/drivers
    >> guest ok = yes
    >> write list = root
    >>
    >> [test]
    >> path = /etc/samba
    >> guest ok = no
    >> writable = yes
    >> write list = root
    >>
    >> [basepdf]
    >> comment =
    >> queueresume command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --endbatch --user %U
    >> printable = yes
    >> print command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --jobname '%J' --user %U %s
    >> guest ok = yes
    >> path = /var/spool/ePDF/basepdf
    >> printer name = Acrophobia PDF Printer
    >> queuepause command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --startbatch --user %U
    >> lpq command = /usr/bin/ePDF.py --qstat --workdir '[%S]' --user %U

    - --
    |Y#| | | |\/| | \ |\ | | |Ryan Novosielski - Systems Programmer II
    |$&| |__| | | |__/ | \| _| |novosirj@umdnj.edu - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)

  4. [Samba] Re: Access Denied when installing drivers using APW - Solved

    I don't doubt it. I was using a custom addprinter script from Acrophobia
    (http://acrophobia.sourceforge.net), which was not compatible with SELINUX
    and I'm afraid I'm not enough of an expert to figure out how to fix it.

    Thanks!