[Samba] Rename Samba Domain? - Samba

  1. [Samba] Rename Samba Domain?

    Is it possible? Is it advised? Is there a 'right way'?

    Thanks,

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  2. Re: [Samba] Rename Samba Domain?

    I've done it - it can be done without pain.
    I was using ldap - I backed up my db first - I also change SIDs by using a
    large scale edit and re-imported.

    If you want client machines to stay joined to the domain, you have a bigger
    problem - depending on the number of clients, it might be easier to unjoin
    before the name change and rejoin afterwards, otherwise, the clients will
    look for the old DC, even to leave the domain.

    Have fun :-)

    On 03/01/2008, Charles Marcus wrote:

    > Is it possible? Is it advised? Is there a 'right way'?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Charles
    > --

  3. [Samba] Re: Rename Samba Domain?

    "Quinn Fissler" wrote in message
    news:f084d6f60801030912l5afe950eo15c01ab41c9f3ae9@ mail.gmail.com...
    > I've done it - it can be done without pain.
    > I was using ldap - I backed up my db first - I also change SIDs by using a
    > large scale edit and re-imported.
    >
    > If you want client machines to stay joined to the domain, you have a

    bigger
    > problem - depending on the number of clients, it might be easier to unjoin
    > before the name change and rejoin afterwards, otherwise, the clients will
    > look for the old DC, even to leave the domain.
    >
    > Have fun :-)
    >

    > On 03/01/2008, Charles Marcus wrote:
    > >
    > > Is it possible? Is it advised? Is there a 'right way'?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > >
    > > Charles

    You can also change the new SID back to the old one using the net
    setlocalsid command. Here is an extract from Chapter 13 of The Official
    Howto.

    If ever it becomes necessary to restore the SID that has been stored in the
    my-sid file, simply copy the SID (the string of characters that begins with
    S-1-5-21) to the command line shown here:

    root# net setlocalsid S-1-5-21-1385457007-882775198-1210191635