Fw: [Samba] printer admin option replacement on stand alone (not domain) print server running version 3.0.25 - Samba

This is a discussion on Fw: [Samba] printer admin option replacement on stand alone (not domain) print server running version 3.0.25 - Samba ; Thanks to those who responded to my original question. I ran this command and it accepted it after I provided the root password. # net rpc rights grant 'vlkidder' SePrintOperatorPrivilege Checked to see if 'vlkidder' had printer admin privilege and ...

  1. Fw: [Samba] printer admin option replacement on stand alone (not domain) print server running version 3.0.25

    Thanks to those who responded to my original question.

    I ran this command and it accepted it after I provided the root password.
    # net rpc rights grant 'vlkidder' SePrintOperatorPrivilege

    Checked to see if 'vlkidder' had printer admin privilege and it seems ok.
    # net rpc rights list accounts
    Password:
    BUILTIN\Print Operators
    No privileges assigned

    SMBTEST\vlkidder
    SePrintOperatorPrivilege

    BUILTIN\Account Operators
    No privileges assigned

    BUILTIN\Backup Operators
    No privileges assigned

    BUILTIN\Server Operators
    No privileges assigned

    BUILTIN\Administrators
    SeMachineAccountPrivilege
    SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege
    SeBackupPrivilege
    SeRestorePrivilege
    SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege
    SePrintOperatorPrivilege
    SeAddUsersPrivilege
    SeDiskOperatorPrivilege

    Everyone
    No privileges assigned

    After using the Printer Wizard from Windows to upload the driver, it goes
    through the process of copying the driver files to the [print$] directory,
    but there is still an error in my log file.

    _spoolss_addprinterdriver: Failed to send message about upgrading driver
    []!
    [2007/12/27 15:59:26, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    vlkidder-06212 (10.1.3.8) closed connection to service print$

    > I'm trying to upload print drivers to a stand-alone samba server running

    > version 3.0.25.
    > The server is part of a workgroup (not domain).
    >
    > My log files show messages that it cannot update the driver.
    > Before I had the printer admin option set in my smb.conf file to allow a

    > non-root user to do the printer admin and everything worked fine.
    >
    > I have read the Samba How To Notes section on important changes since

    3.x,
    > it says the following.
    > "Group mappings are essential only if the Samba server is running as a
    > PDC/BDC. Stand-alone servers do not require these group mappings.".
    >
    > Can anyone help me to understand what I need to do to allow a non-root
    > user to perform printer admin functions on a stand-alone server?
    >
    > --

  2. Re: Fw: [Samba] printer admin option replacement on stand alone (not domain) print server running version 3.0.25

    Hi Vickie

    I have been following your thread in the samba list - and I think I am
    wrestling with a similar problem. I want to upload windows printer
    drivers to a workgroup samba server. My samba is also 3.0.25. on a
    Centos 5.1 server.

    I have put the "enable privilege = yes" into smb.conf - and restarted samba.
    However - unlike you - when I try the command:

    #net rpc rights grant 'rhc' SePrintOperatorPrivilege
    And give the root password, I get the error:
    Failed to grant privileges for rhc (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)

    "rhc" is a user on both the linux server and a windows client machine - though I must admit I am confused about how the two user5 groups relate to each other in a workgroup samba setup.

    Curiously - if I attempt to grant the right to a non-existent user - I do not get an error.

    Since you seem to be trying to achieve the same thing - you may have encountered similar problems. Can you throw any light on this problem?

    Thanks

    Richard.

    Vickie L. Kidder wrote:
    > Thanks to those who responded to my original question.
    >
    > I ran this command and it accepted it after I provided the root password.
    > # net rpc rights grant 'vlkidder' SePrintOperatorPrivilege
    >
    > Checked to see if 'vlkidder' had printer admin privilege and it seems ok.
    > # net rpc rights list accounts
    > Password:
    > BUILTIN\Print Operators
    > No privileges assigned
    >
    > SMBTEST\vlkidder
    > SePrintOperatorPrivilege
    >
    > BUILTIN\Account Operators
    > No privileges assigned
    >
    > BUILTIN\Backup Operators
    > No privileges assigned
    >
    > BUILTIN\Server Operators
    > No privileges assigned
    >
    > BUILTIN\Administrators
    > SeMachineAccountPrivilege
    > SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege
    > SeBackupPrivilege
    > SeRestorePrivilege
    > SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege
    > SePrintOperatorPrivilege
    > SeAddUsersPrivilege
    > SeDiskOperatorPrivilege
    >
    > Everyone
    > No privileges assigned
    >
    > After using the Printer Wizard from Windows to upload the driver, it goes
    > through the process of copying the driver files to the [print$] directory,
    > but there is still an error in my log file.
    >
    > _spoolss_addprinterdriver: Failed to send message about upgrading driver
    > []!
    > [2007/12/27 15:59:26, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
    > vlkidder-06212 (10.1.3.8) closed connection to service print$
    >

    >> I'm trying to upload print drivers to a stand-alone samba server running
    >>

    >> version 3.0.25.
    >> The server is part of a workgroup (not domain).
    >>
    >> My log files show messages that it cannot update the driver.
    >> Before I had the printer admin option set in my smb.conf file to allow a
    >>

    >> non-root user to do the printer admin and everything worked fine.
    >>
    >> I have read the Samba How To Notes section on important changes since
    >>

    > 3.x,
    >
    >> it says the following.
    >> "Group mappings are essential only if the Samba server is running as a
    >> PDC/BDC. Stand-alone servers do not require these group mappings.".
    >>
    >> Can anyone help me to understand what I need to do to allow a non-root
    >> user to perform printer admin functions on a stand-alone server?
    >>
    >> --

  3. Re: Fw: [Samba] printer admin option replacement on stand alone (not domain) print server running version 3.0.25

    I was able to get my print drivers to upload after doing the following.

    1) Checked that the settings for the printer driver upload directory were
    set to allow my account to write to it.
    /# ls -l /s01/samba
    drwxrwsr-x 3 vlkidder samba 512 Jan 06 21:45 drivers

    2) Removed the printer admin option from smb.conf file.
    These are my current smb.conf settings related to printing.
    ; Global Settings for Printers
    printing = aix
    load printers = yes
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -h -r %s
    lpq command = enq -e -As -P'%p'
    use client driver = no
    [printers]
    comment = samba printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = yes
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    public = no
    read only = yes
    writeable = no
    [print$]
    comment = samba printer driver upload
    path = /s01/samba/drivers
    write list = vlkidder
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = yes

    3) Ran "net rpc rights grant vlkidder SePrintOperatorPrivilege" to grant
    my account "vlkidder" printer admin rights.
    I'm not sure why, but when I run a net rpc command I get this the error
    message
    "Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1 The username or password was not
    correct. Connection failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE". There is a password
    for root account in the smbpasswd file. If I reset the samba password for
    root using "smbpasswd root", I can run the net rpc commands with no
    problem.

    That's it. Now driver upload works fine.

    The error I originally posted "_spoolss_addprinterdriver: Failed to send
    message about upgrading driver[]!" still shows up in my log file. The
    driver uploads and I'm able to modify the printer properties, connect the
    printer to a client computer, and print, so I'm not going to worry about
    it.

    Richard Chapman wrote on 01/05/2008 06:42:11
    PM:

> [...]

    > >> I'm trying to upload print drivers to a stand-alone samba server

    running

    > >> version 3.0.25.
    > >> The server is part of a workgroup (not domain).
    > >>
    > >> My log files show messages that it cannot update the driver.
    > >> Before I had the printer admin option set in my smb.conf file to

    allow a

    > >> non-root user to do the printer admin and everything worked fine.
    > >>
    > >> I have read the Samba How To Notes section on important changes since

    > > 3.x,
    > >
    > >> it says the following.
    > >> "Group mappings are essential only if the Samba server is running as

    > >> PDC/BDC. Stand-alone servers do not require these group mappings.".
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone help me to understand what I need to do to allow a

    non-root
    > >> user to perform printer admin functions on a stand-alone server?

  4. Re: Fw: [Samba] printer admin option replacement on stand alone (not domain) print server running version 3.0.25

    Hi Vickie

    I hope you don't mind me contacting you directly - but I wanted to thank
    you (and otters) for your help with this problem. I have finally got
    printer driver upload working - after having taken a break from it for a
    couple of weeks leave....

    Everything went more or less as you said - but I also had some "bad
    stuff" in my smb.conf - which took a bit of careful weeding to get rid
    off...:-)

    I think I have also just figured out how to set a global default
    "printer Preference" so that my printer prints monochrome by default.
    This is really wonderful...

    Thanks Vickie

    Richard.