[Samba] can samba authenticate against non domain/server? - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] can samba authenticate against non domain/server? - Samba ; We've installed/enabled IIS to get us an FTP server site on a windows XP pro. This machine has local accounts for remote users to connect to. Thus they can remotely "window" in, be prompted to change their password the first ...

  1. [Samba] can samba authenticate against non domain/server?

    We've installed/enabled IIS to get us an FTP server site on a windows
    XP pro. This machine has local accounts for remote users to connect
    to. Thus they can remotely "window" in, be prompted to change
    their password the first time and use their local accounts to ftp
    files to/from us.

    What if the remote end was not using windows? If they had some
    type of unix host, they could still ftp in but as we set up their local
    accounts to force changing their initial password, they'd need to
    first connect in some other manner and change their password.

    Can samba do this? ie if the remote end was a unix box with
    samba, could it connect to this XP (workgroup, not domain)
    and authenticate against it. Aside from authentication, the
    basic question is can samba allow unix users (or their sysadmin)
    to change their remote windows password using smbpasswd
    or some other utility? If not, how do others set up IIS on non-
    domain servers.

    Thanks

  2. Re: [Samba] can samba authenticate against non domain/server?

    What do you mean by "window in" the only way I can think of having a
    non-domain member windows system change a password on another system is
    Remote Desktop. If that is the case, the unix system needs a remote
    desktop client, something like rdesktop.

    -- Michael