[Samba] 2GB limit - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] 2GB limit - Samba ; I have a PC-BSD system running with SAMBA. I wanted to backup an image disk which size is about 10Gb. The system has 4 HD, each 80 GB, so the space was not the problem. I tried to copy this ...

  1. [Samba] 2GB limit

    I have a PC-BSD system running with SAMBA. I wanted to backup an image disk which size is about 10Gb. The system has 4 HD, each 80 GB, so the space was not the problem.

    I tried to copy this image data from Windows XP to my PC-BSD system via samba. I could copy up to 2Gb and then I had an error.

    I googled to find out how to fix this error and I found that it was fixed some time ago. I verified samba version installed. It is ver 3.26a.
    samba-3.0.26a,1
    samba-libsmbclient-3.0.26a

    I checked the disk format. It is UFS2.

    I saw couple blogs saying that it is possible to enable this if the option lfs is enabled.

    I checked smb.conf man to see if there was an option that I set incorrectly. So far I couldn't see anything wrong.

    My configuration is really simple
    workgroup = TEST
    netbios name = Test_Srv
    server string = Test Server
    security = user

    [BackUps]
    comment = System Backups
    path = /media/srvInfo/BckUp
    browseable = yes
    valid users = test
    public = no
    writable = yes
    printable = no
    create mask = 0765

    Could you help me to fix this? I don't know where else I can check.
    Does any body had similar problem like this with current version 3.26?

    Thanks in advance
    Simon

  2. Re: [Samba] 2GB limit

    ?

    > Could you help me to fix this? I don't know where else I can check.
    > Does any body had similar problem like this with current version 3.26?

    There is no such limit in Samba; it i probably a limit in the
    underlying filesystem. We create gargantuan (>2Gb) files via Samba all
    the time, but we use LINUX ext3/xfs servers.

    --
    Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
    Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com

  3. Re: [Samba] 2GB limit

    Am Donnerstag, den 15.11.2007, 07:16 -0500 schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
    > > I checked the disk format. It is UFS2.

    > ?
    >
    > > Could you help me to fix this? I don't know where else I can check.
    > > Does any body had similar problem like this with current version 3.26?

    > There is no such limit in Samba; it i probably a limit in the
    > underlying filesystem. We create gargantuan (>2Gb) files via Samba all
    > the time, but we use LINUX ext3/xfs servers.

    It's also a limit of the transport filesystem.

    Try to map the remote filsystem using cifs instead of smb.

    smb has the limit of 2GB

    Regards
    Sebastian Ries