[Samba] Winbindd - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Winbindd - Samba ; I am trying to have user logon used winbindd for user directory information and krb auth. The kerber logon works when NIS or /etc/password is used for user info. The only difference I see is winbind return a * in ...

  1. [Samba] Winbindd

    I am trying to have user logon used winbindd for user directory
    information and krb auth.

    The kerber logon works when NIS or /etc/password is used for user info.
    The only difference I see is winbind return a * in the password field.

    My understanding is * will prevent logons and x will allow the user to
    logon using /etc/shadow or krb auth in this case.

    Is there a way to change what winbind returns?

    Thanks

    Mark

    --
    Mark Campbell
    Systems Analyst

  2. Re: [Samba] Winbindd

    Mark Campbell wrote:
    > I am trying to have user logon used winbindd for user directory
    > information and krb auth.
    > The kerber logon works when NIS or /etc/password is used for user info.
    > The only difference I see is winbind return a * in the password field.
    > My understanding is * will prevent logons and x will allow the user to
    > logon using /etc/shadow or krb auth in this case.
    >
    > Is there a way to change what winbind returns?

    What are you authenticating against? I have a pretty-much-vanilla Samba
    installation which uses Winbind against a Win2K0 Server AD, and "getent
    passwd" returns the AD logins with the "x" password. (It also returns
    all the machine accounts etc., but that's a different issue :-)

    Don