[Samba] Migrating a smbpasswd domain controller to LDAP - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Migrating a smbpasswd domain controller to LDAP - Samba ; Hi folks, I have a small network running Samba 3.0.2 / Mandrake - everything is working fine with all winXP and 98 stations happy As a lot of users depends on this server, I want to install a BDC server ...

  1. [Samba] Migrating a smbpasswd domain controller to LDAP

    Hi folks,

    I have a small network running Samba 3.0.2 / Mandrake - everything is
    working fine with all winXP and 98 stations happy

    As a lot of users depends on this server, I want to install a BDC server in
    order to have a backup server.

    The SAMBA3-HowTo suggests that the best way is to install a LDAP
    authentication but my current authentication is smbpasswd.

    As I can't do those changes on the production server, risking my current
    installation, what is the best strategy to install a new server and import
    my current user/group configs?

    Thanks in advance,
    Josir Gomes

  2. Re: [Samba] Migrating a smbpasswd domain controller to LDAP

    i'm sort of in the same boat as you but imagine a dozen smbpasswd based
    servers.

    read up through chapter 4 in LDAP systems adminstation. then read the
    openldap 2.3 systems administrator guide. then read samba3 by example
    and then the samba howto.

    you'll need to use the PADL tools to migrate your /etc/passwd users to
    ldap. just google search on how to use the PADL tools, there are plenty
    of resources. once you can get linux shell users to log in, start on
    the samba part.

    create a test system with some spare PCs or VMWare or Microsoft Virtual
    PC 2007.