[Samba] Samba clients disconnect periodically - Samba

This is a discussion on [Samba] Samba clients disconnect periodically - Samba ; I am using Samba 3.0.10 with Red hat (4.5) as samba fileserver. It is very basic setup with Ldap setup. All of our desktop (Windows and MAC) clients (>250) simultaneously started dropping their connections to our Samba fileserver. Since then, ...

  1. [Samba] Samba clients disconnect periodically

    I am using Samba 3.0.10 with Red hat (4.5) as samba fileserver. It is
    very basic setup with Ldap setup.

    All of our desktop (Windows and MAC) clients (>250) simultaneously
    started dropping their connections to our Samba fileserver. Since then,
    I have tested with RHEL5 and SuSE with Samba 3.0.23c, 24 and 25. None
    the latested fix this problem.

    So I downgraded to samba 3.0.10 and it works better but still have
    problem disconnecting with clients disconnection. The problem has also
    appeared on clients running disparate operating systems: Mac OS 10.3.9
    and 10.4.x, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. (None of our Linux desktops
    use the CIFS mounts we provide.)

    I was never able to replicate on Windows Desktop.

    I will really appreciate your input

    --------Here is smb.conf file-------------------------------------

    [global]

    # set basic name strings
    server string = DOMAIN
    workgroup = NEW_DOMAIN
    netbios name = DOMAIN

    # log level and log file. Samba can use syslog as well, but it's just
    # easier not to. Plus, we can separate out log information by user
    # (%U) and machine (%m) if we use Samba's internal logging. Samba
    # auto-rotates logs when they get bigger than 'max log size' Kb, but
    # it only retains one old log and one new one.
    log level = 1 vfs:3
    log file = /var/log/samba/%U.%m.log
    max log size = 102400

    # how to add machine trust accounts to LDAP
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -t 10 -w '%m'

    # only bind to the correct (cluster) IP address; otherwise, we'll
    broadcast
    # this nodes IP address and the SAN IP as master browsers in addition to
    the
    # cluster IP.
    bind interfaces only = true
    interfaces = 10.1.1.44

    # for netlogon (which we don't use)
    logon path =
    logon home =

    # some performance tweaks
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
    SO_KEEPALIVE

    # no limit to the number of processes to spawn (which is good, because
    # Samba has recently been going crazy and spawning hundreds of
    processes)
    max smbd processes = 0

    # basic domain master setup
    encrypt passwords = yes
    domain logons = yes
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    security = user
    # os level = 33 will make Huxley win any contests to see who is the
    # domain master. (There shouldn't be any, but what the hey.)
    os level = 33

    # where to find the WINS server
    wins server = 10.9.1.12

    # users in this (LDAP) group will have their smbd processes run as
    # root, giving them access to _everything_. They will also be allowed
    # to join computers to the domain
    admin users = +ntadmin

    # LDAP setup -- where to find stuff, etc. At least some earlier
    # versions of Samba had a bug that forced machine accounts and user
    # accounts to be in the same tree, which is why they're not separated
    # out
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap.example.com
    ldap suffix = o=example.com,o=isp
    ldap machine suffix = ou=People
    ldap user suffix = ou=People
    ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
    ldap admin dn = cn=directory manager
    ldap ssl = on

    # not sure what these do, to be honest
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000

    # include extra user configuration. For instance, if you wanted to
    # turn up the log level for John User, you could create a file called
    # 'juser.inc' (or whatever John's username is) and add a 'log level'
    # line to it. This include statement has to be here, at the end of
    # the [global] section and before any of the shares, so that it can
    # override any global configuration directives, but won't be
    # considered part of any particular share.
    include = /etc/samba/%U.inc

    ##################################
    # HOME DRIVE #
    ##################################
    [home]
    comment = Home directories

    # basic config: don't allow guest access, allow write, show this
    # volume in a volume listing of this machine
    guest ok = 0
    read only = no
    browseable = yes

    # create the path from the user's home directory, which is populated
    # from LDAP
    path = %H

    # auto-create home and publichtml folders
    root preexec = /usr/local/maint/mkhome '%U'

    # the permissions of a given folder should be the same as the
    # permissions of its parent. This helps preserve permissions for both
    # home and publichtml, which should be different
    inherit permissions = yes

    # default permissions
    directory mask = 0700
    force directory mode = 0700
    create mask = 0600
    force create mode = 0600

    ##################################
    # MISC DRIVE #
    ##################################
    [misc]
    comment = misc drive
    path = /misc

    # basic config: don't allow guest access, allow write, show this
    # volume in a volume listing of this machine
    guest ok = 0
    read only = no
    browseable = yes

    # for some reason, inherit permissions doesn't work on /misc, although
    # it should. Set all permissions according to the defaults. When I
    # create a new folder for a department, etc., I can set its
    # permissions specially, which will allow me to prevent or allow
    # anonymous access as necessary.
    inherit permissions = no
    directory mask = 2775
    force directory mode = 2770
    create mask = 0664
    force create mode = 0660

    # allow some more fancy ACL-based controls on files
    nt acl support = yes
    map acl inherit = yes
    inherit acls = yes

    # let anyone who has write access to a file change its permissions.
    # this is similar to the way DOS/Windows does things
    dos filemode = yes

    # anyone who can write to a file can change its timestamp (again, to
    # mimic DOS/Windows)
    dos filetimes = yes

    # configuration for full audit plugin, which will let us see all
    # accesses and operations on the Misc drive. Currently disabled due
    # to high I/O loads caused by it.
    #vfs objects = full_audit
    full_audit:success = all
    full_audit:failure = none
    full_audit:facility = LOCAL6

    # different groups access webdirs different, so include it from a file.
    include = /etc/samba/%G.inc

  2. Re: [Samba] Samba clients disconnect periodically

    Any help Please

    On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 16:35 -0600, BIS wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > # allow some more fancy ACL-based controls on files
    > nt acl support = yes
    > map acl inherit = yes
    > inherit acls = yes
    >
    > # let anyone who has write access to a file change its permissions.
    > # this is similar to the way DOS/Windows does things
    > dos filemode = yes
    >
    > # anyone who can write to a file can change its timestamp (again, to
    > # mimic DOS/Windows)
    > dos filetimes = yes
    >
    > # configuration for full audit plugin, which will let us see all
    > # accesses and operations on the Misc drive. Currently disabled due
    > # to high I/O loads caused by it.
    > #vfs objects = full_audit
    > full_audit:success = all
    > full_audit:failure = none
    > full_audit:facility = LOCAL6
    >
    > # different groups access webdirs different, so include it from a file.

  3. Re: [Samba] Samba clients disconnect periodically

    On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 06:07 -0600, BIS wrote:
    > Any help Please
    > On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 16:35 -0600, BIS wrote:
    > > I am using Samba 3.0.10 with Red hat (4.5) as samba fileserver. It is
    > > very basic setup with Ldap setup.
    > > All of our desktop (Windows and MAC) clients (>250) simultaneously
    > > started dropping their connections to our Samba fileserver. Since then,
    > > I have tested with RHEL5 and SuSE with Samba 3.0.23c, 24 and 25. None
    > > the latested fix this problem.

    What does "simulaneously" mean? They all drop at the same time?

    Otherwise, why does it matter? CIFS clients disconnect and
    automatically reconnect, they are designed that way. Disconnecting
    isn't a problem unless they are disconnecting while performing
    operations.

    --
    Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
    Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com

  4. Re: [Samba] Samba clients disconnect periodically