Samba Roaming Proflies Problem - Samba

This is a discussion on Samba Roaming Proflies Problem - Samba ; Hello, Sorry to bug the newsgroup but I have another slight problem. My PDC is working fine as far as storing roaming profiles except for one hitch. If an existing user logs into the server from a new client (ie ...

  1. Samba Roaming Proflies Problem

    Hello,
    Sorry to bug the newsgroup but I have another slight problem. My PDC is
    working fine as far as storing roaming profiles except for one hitch.

    If an existing user logs into the server from a new client (ie a computer
    they never used to access the domain before) the initial login will not sync
    with their already existing roaming profile. Instead it will load the local
    machine's default profile. I have spent the better part of two days trying
    to figure out why this is occuring. I need to make sure that existing users
    receive their existing profile on the new machine. I believe this has
    something to do with the [netlogon] share but have not found any information
    reguarding this problem. It is really the last problem I'm having with the
    samba PDC and other than that it seems to work quite smoothly. The PDC syncs
    profiles great on machines that a user already used more than once.

    If someone can tell me what I am missing I would greatly appreciate it.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Samba Roaming Proflies Problem

    Just as a reply to my msg. I figured out the problem. It was just a minor
    setting in the smb.conf. for anybody who wants to set up a PDC here is a
    copy of my smb.conf file... some of the stuff has been omitted for security
    reasons.

    Running in Gentoo Linux (Linux Kernel 2.6.14)

    ------------- START smb.conf -----------------------
    [global]
    netbios name = gonzo
    workgroup = xxx
    unix password sync = no
    pam password change = yes
    server string = lizpdc
    interfaces = 192.168.1.2/24
    bind interfaces only = true
    encrypt passwords = yes
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
    security = user
    guest ok = no
    local master = yes
    os level = 65
    domain master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    null passwords = no
    hide unreadable = yes
    hide dot files = yes
    domain logons = yes
    wins support = yes
    name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
    dns proxy = no
    time server = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    ;unix charset = ISO8859-1
    invalid users = bin deamon sys man postfix mail ftp
    admin users = @wheel

    # Logon Parameters

    logon drive = L:
    # logon script = login.bat OR %U.bat
    logon path = \\%L\%U\profile

    logon home = \\%L\%U\

    # Add group for administration staff
    #domain admin group = @ntadmins
    #admin users = @ntadmins
    #printer admin = @sysadmin

    # Script for adding users from a client
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
    delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
    add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
    delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
    add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null %u
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = "*New password:*" %n\r "*New password (again):*" %n\r \
    "*Password changed*"
    # Share section

    [netlogon]
    path = /opt/samba/netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    read only = yes
    browseable = no

    *** Please note that I decided to keep user profiles in a users home dir.
    Even though some documents I have read tell you to not link this to the
    [homes] share... I think it's worked out nicely.

    [profiles]
    path = \\%L\%U\profile
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes
    # default case = lower
    preserve case = yes
    short preserve case = yes
    case sensitive = yes
    # hide files = /desktop.ini/ntuser.ini/NTUSER.*/
    write list = @users @smbusers @root
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    csc policy = disable # ********> THIS IS WHAT WAS CAUSING ME THE
    PROBLEMS!!! This
    MUST BE DISABLED for
    true roaming profiles.

    [homes]
    path = /home/%U
    browseable = no
    valid users = %S
    read only = no
    guest ok = no
    inherit permissions = yes

    It took a lot of reading to finally come across the

    csc policy = disable

    Most places just tell you how to set up roaming profiles but I wanted
    EVERYTHING to roam. Backgrounds, email, program settings, desktop icons..
    etc. I also noticed that if you use a jpg as a background you must convert
    it to a bmp in order to get it to work correctly. This isn't too hard to
    convert, most web clients let you just right click and save as and select
    bitmap from the bottom. Without the csc policy = disabled you can not have a
    true roaming account. You will run into the problem I did when XP would use
    a cached local default account. There were also things that must be changed
    in windows itself. I personally run Windows XP and don't really know how to
    do it to other versions.. but if you go to start .... run..... gpedit.msc to
    edit the settings there.. there are plenty of web sites that tell you where
    you supposed to go... somewhere in it there is a netlogon section where you
    have to change caching on the client side also.

    Please note that NO CACHING at all means that startup speed of XP is
    determined on your net connection. I have a gbit network that flies (The
    hard drive on the PDC is the actual bottleneck). I also use it on my
    wireless. If you have big files try not to save them in MY DOCUMENTS or the
    DESKTOP. It will slow loading time a lot. My advise is to keep your stuff in
    your mapped /home directory which is set above. Mine is L:.

    Just wanted to post this here in case anybody else runs into the same
    problem.

    Take care.

    "Macer" wrote in message
    newsbjuf.1081$sA3.520@fed1read02...
    > Hello,
    > Sorry to bug the newsgroup but I have another slight problem. My PDC is
    > working fine as far as storing roaming profiles except for one hitch.
    >
    > If an existing user logs into the server from a new client (ie a computer
    > they never used to access the domain before) the initial login will not
    > sync with their already existing roaming profile. Instead it will load the
    > local machine's default profile. I have spent the better part of two days
    > trying to figure out why this is occuring. I need to make sure that
    > existing users receive their existing profile on the new machine. I
    > believe this has something to do with the [netlogon] share but have not
    > found any information reguarding this problem. It is really the last
    > problem I'm having with the samba PDC and other than that it seems to work
    > quite smoothly. The PDC syncs profiles great on machines that a user
    > already used more than once.
    >
    > If someone can tell me what I am missing I would greatly appreciate it.
    >
    > Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread