Samba as a PDC and Wireless access - Samba

This is a discussion on Samba as a PDC and Wireless access - Samba ; I recently decided to set up my samba server as a Primary Domain Controller. The location of this PDC is 192.168.1.2 which is the wired subnet.. The wired machines work fine. I can login to the PDC and the roaming ...

  1. Samba as a PDC and Wireless access

    I recently decided to set up my samba server as a Primary Domain Controller.
    The location of this PDC is 192.168.1.2 which is the wired subnet.. The
    wired machines work fine. I can login
    to the PDC and the roaming profiles work great.

    The problem I'm having is when I try to access the same PDC from a wireless
    client I receive
    errors from the XP clients that the domain is not avaliable. It will not
    allow me to login. I have
    had a slight success when I plug the wireless client into the wired network,
    login, logout, unplug
    the cable, and log back in. This is a temporary fix though, and once I log
    out again I lose the
    ability to roam profiles again because the wireless side can not speak
    correctly to the PDC on
    the wired side.

    Information on the connection:

    I connect two subnets: 192.168.1.xxx (wired) 192.168.2.xxx (wireless)

    These two connections are routed on a LinkSYS using OpenWrt with iptables.

    I can connect fine to the wired connection. The roaming profiles and
    everything works.

    I just can't seem to login from the wireless connections even though I can
    access the
    PDC.

    If anybody can point me into the right direction to figure this one out I'd
    appreciate it.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Samba as a PDC and Wireless access

    This problem was fixed by bridging the Wireless and Wired connections into a
    single subnet. Evidently Samba working as a PDC (and I'm pretty sure Windows
    does this too) only broadcasts to the single subnet that it is on. I'm sure
    you can set routes to get it to work but I just decided to bridge teh
    wireless and wired networks into 192.168.1.x. This resolved the problem.
    Doing something like this would probably not be practical on a network with
    more than 253 computers. I'm guessing it would be best to put one PDC per
    subnet for huge networks.

    Thanks,
    Mace

    "Mace" wrote in message
    >I recently decided to set up my samba server as a Primary Domain
    >Controller. The location of this PDC is 192.168.1.2 which is the wired
    >subnet.. The wired machines work fine. I can login
    > to the PDC and the roaming profiles work great.
    >
    > The problem I'm having is when I try to access the same PDC from a
    > wireless client I receive
    > errors from the XP clients that the domain is not avaliable. It will not
    > allow me to login. I have
    > had a slight success when I plug the wireless client into the wired
    > network, login, logout, unplug
    > the cable, and log back in. This is a temporary fix though, and once I log
    > out again I lose the
    > ability to roam profiles again because the wireless side can not speak
    > correctly to the PDC on
    > the wired side.
    >
    > Information on the connection:
    >
    > I connect two subnets: 192.168.1.xxx (wired) 192.168.2.xxx (wireless)
    >
    > These two connections are routed on a LinkSYS using OpenWrt with iptables.
    >
    > I can connect fine to the wired connection. The roaming profiles and
    > everything works.
    >
    > I just can't seem to login from the wireless connections even though I can
    > access the
    > PDC.
    >
    > If anybody can point me into the right direction to figure this one out
    > I'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread