mounting windows on a linux box - Samba

This is a discussion on mounting windows on a linux box - Samba ; [root@jc samba]# smbmount //dev.net/ /mnt/win Password: 4527: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid share name) SMB connection failed Now.. I'm assuming (would I be right to assume) that this is not a shared drive? If so, ...

  1. mounting windows on a linux box

    [root@jc samba]# smbmount //dev.net/ /mnt/win
    Password:
    4527: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an
    invalid share name)
    SMB connection failed

    Now.. I'm assuming (would I be right to assume) that this is not a
    shared drive?

    If so, I've shared a drive in MY personal workstation, tried with both
    computer name/ip address, and get the following:

    [root@jc samba]# smbmount //devmasonh/ /mnt/win
    4530: Connection to devmasonh failed
    SMB connection failed
    [root@jc samba]#

    Or,..

    [root@jc samba]# smbmount //192.168.168.179/ /mnt/win
    4536: session request to 192.168.168.179 failed (Called name not
    present)
    4536: session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)

    Any ideas?

    Perhaps I haven't followed the correct steps.. If so, is there
    documentation that would lead me to configure the machine to allow me
    to configure samba easily?

    I'm running fedora core 3, and trying to mount both a winxp and win2000
    machine..

    I'm under the impression that it IS working well, being that when I try
    mounting dev.net, it asks me for the password right away, without
    giving any errors, so perhaps it did connect with that server..

    Anyway.. Perhaps someone has come across the same issue in the past..

    Any other information needed?

    Anyway./. Thanks to all..

  2. Re: mounting windows on a linux box

    Hi all..

    thanks for looking.. the problem is now resolved..

    It was, in fact, very rewarding to figure it out by myself..

+ Reply to Thread