On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 06:48:29AM -0400, Michael Shalayeff wrote:
> | Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from David Lee:
> | > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> | > Use of the higher-level subroutines ("pututline()", "login()" etc.), where
> | > provided by the OS, certainly seems preferable. For one thing, it should
> | > (assuming no bugs!) manage locking, in a consistent fashion, of the
> | > underlying utmp/wtmp database files. (Imagine two or more simultaneous
> | > connects or disconnects of any entities (ftpd, telnetd, sshd, smbd, ...)
> | > which try to update those database files.)
> |
> | those interfaces do not exist in *bsd.
> | login/logout is unusable as well and it is explained
> | in the comments in my diff WHY
>
> login(3) and logout(3) certainly exist in NetBSD's libutil, and NetBSD
> has had them since inception (March 1993). FreeBSD has them.
> OpenBSD should have them as NetBSD had them at the time OpenBSD forked
> from NetBSD, unless they've since been removed.
>
> With the addition of utmpx(5) support in NetBSD a couple of years ago,
> NetBSD also provides loginx(3), logout(x) and logwtmpx(3) APIs in
> libutil, as well as the POSIX pututxline(3) (et al) API in libc.
>
> autoconf tests can be used to detect which particular utmp/wtmp/utmpx/wtmpx
> APIs are present and working on a given system so that Samba can DTRT.

Thanks, Luke.

Michael says "login/logout is unusable" (which I cannot assess either
way). Alas, the comments in his diff don't say why.

Luke: Do you have the inclination, time and resources to investigate
whether a subroutine-based solution ("login()", "pututxline()") might be
feasible on one or more of the *BSD variants? (And, as a side-effect,
checking whether the autoconf tests are adequate and sufficient?)

Further, in hunting through the "www.opensbd.org" CVS repository
yesterday, I also found a "pam_lastlog", which looked promising. At his
point we need Andrew Bartlett again.

Andrew: I have a recollection (probably at least partially faulty) that
your preferred solution to all this session related stuff is PAM (when
available and when modules permit), falling back to "utmp.cututxline()",
falling back to "utmpc.c:write()". Comments?

--

: David Lee I.T. Service :
: Senior Systems Programmer Computer Centre :