for some strange reason, our wins servers occasionally drop samba
servers out of there name space. to deal with this, I cron'ed a
restart of samba at midnight everynight. This was a quick solution,
but a lousy one.

I would rather have some way to have samba regularly send name
registration requests to wins. Is there a way to do this?

barring that, is there some interface I can query on samba before
sending it a kill signal to make sure there are no open files? I would
like a 'gracefull' way to have samba resatart.

--
David Bear
phone: 480-965-8257