--Mla3UN0L0Ly2to/J

Samba currently defaults to storing all of its state into lockdir.
I don't think that this is optimal, because it means that
"persistant" state (e.g, winbindd_idmap.tdb) is kept in the same
location as "ephemeral" state (e.g, locking.tdb).

This is a problem because some systems (e.g, embedded) want to
keep persistent state in a separate location to where run-time
state is stored, since the latter may be on a file-system that's
(re-)initialized at boot.

The author of the "fhs.patch" in packaging/Debian/** seems to
agree with this sentiment. Based on that patch and my own changes,
here's a quick analysis of the category of each file that's
accessed via lock_path():

lock_path() (e.g, /var/run/samba)
brlock.tdb
connections.tdb
locking.tdb
messages.tdb
namelist.debug
sessionid.tdb
sessionid.tdb
unexpected.tdb
winbindd_privileged/

state_path() (e.g, /etc/samba/private)
account_policy.tdb
browse.dat
group_mapping.tdb
lang_.tdb
ntdrivers.tdb
ntforms.tdb
ntprinters.tdb
privilege.tdb
registry.tdb
share_info.tdb
winbindd_idmap.tdb
wins.dat
wins.tdb

cache_path() (Debian separates this from lock_path() for some reason)
netsamlogon_cache.tdb
printing.tdb
printing/.tdb
winbindd_cache.tdb

I don't understand the rationale for separating lock_path() and
cache_path() -- I have them the same on my system -- but at least
separating state_path() is very useful. Is there a reason that
this part of the Debian fhs.patch stuff hasn't been incorporated
into the "mainline", even as a subset of the --with-fhs option.
(E.g, having a state_path() function that's based on configure's
"statedir" and using that)?

Luke.

--Mla3UN0L0Ly2to/J

--Mla3UN0L0Ly2to/J--