--=-xRD79P95ARiDayoSdXxL

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 10:57, Jason Haar wrote:
> I've just started delving into rsync again - we use it via Linux servers =

> synchronize Windows data over a WAN via smbfs.
>=20
> i.e.
>=20
> Windows --> Linux =3D=3D Rsync =3D=3D Linux --> Windows
>=20
> Basically there are a bunch of "8 bit" filenames on the Windows server th=

at
> rsync (or "find", or "ls") cannot see: rsync reports:

> I first reported this problem in 1999 and am amazed I'm still seeing it.

You need to, at the very least, move to cifsfs - as this uses unicode to
talk to the windows servers, and can export utf8 to unix. This avoids
the loss of information you are experiencing here.

But why not just use rsync on windows? - I understand there is a win32
port, or cygwin or something.

Andrew Bartlett

--=20
Andrew Bartlett abartlet@samba.org