The subject's a little misleading really, but I was looking for some
clarification of my thoughts...

In Windows, one can use both share permissions and NTFS permissions to
control access to files. I would normally use share permissions to control a
connection (allow/deny), and use NTFS to control access. I would never use
share permissions to control access whilst NTFS was capable of doing it.

Is this relationship the same for Samba permissions and file system
permissions? Would you ideally use Samba for connection control, and the
file system for access control?

If I can sneak a related question in here... I want a 'public' share, with
only the owner able to modify their own files, do I just use the sticky bit
filesystem attribute on the public shared directory?

Many thanks,
Steve