--------------090206000509070907060201

I was hoping the Samba experts on this list can help me with an
irritating issue...

I have an issue with Windows file servers (Server2003) thinking that
files are open with they are not.

The problem occurs when one or more linux servers using smbfs mounts
under FedoraCore4 opens the same file(s) at the same time.
This test script can exhibit the issue:

# CAREFUL to kill this after a few seconds!!!!
while true; do head -1
/mnt/windows-server/TestMount/euro_prod/a*/*/*.xml > /dev/null & done

Once these processes complete an 'lsof' shows that the linux machines
have no open files but an 'net file' on the windows server shows these
files are open.

The only way to fix this is to 'umount /mnt/windows-server' . After that
a 'net file' shows all the files closed.

I have repeated the above issue on 2 different windows file servers.

This is an important issue, as we have an app we want to migrate to
linux but we must (in the short term) continue to use a windows file server.
This app forks a few processes that access the same files on the windows
file share. After running a big job the windows server thinks files are
open.

These open files prevent other windows programs from opening the file
and are generally a nuisance.

I am not sure if this is a windows or linux issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Russ