Anyone have any thoughts on this??

On 3/28/06, George Wolanin wrote:

Or maybe it was the upgrade from FC2 -> FC4..........

I recently was running a FC2 Samba PDC and OpenLDAP, using Samba-3.0.10.

After I upgraded the server from FC2 to FC4 samba was broken and
wouldn't load because it was complaining about a library file not
existing. (libldap.so.2) I believe.. Sure enough it wasn't there. So
I had to recompile Samba 3.0.10 again. Well the compile failed for
3.0.10 with the following error
----------------------------------snip-------------------------------------=
----------
../configure --prefix=3D/opt/samba-3.0.10 --with-ldapsam
----------------------------------snip-------------------------------------=
----------
# make
Using FLAGS =3D -O -Iinclude -I/usr/src/samba-3.0.10/source/include
-I/usr/src/samba-3.0.10/source/ubiqx
-I/usr/src/samba-3.0.10/source/smbwrapper -I. -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=3D64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/src/samba-3.0.10/source
LIBS =3D -lcrypt -lresolv -lnsl -ldl
LDSHFLAGS =3D -shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic
LDFLAGS =3D
Compiling dynconfig.c
In file included from include/smb.h:1679,
from include/includes.h:819,
from dynconfig.c:21:
include/popt_common.h:25: error: array type has incomplete element type
include/popt_common.h:26: error: array type has incomplete element type
include/popt_common.h:27: error: array type has incomplete element type
include/popt_common.h:28: error: array type has incomplete element type
----------------------------------snip-------------------------------------=
----------

So i downloaded the latest version of samba, 3.0.21c and it compiled
just fine but when i started the SMB server, I wasn't able to browse
the servers within the domain. They just wouldn't show up. What I do
in my WinXP pro clients is click:

Start->My Network Places->Entire Network->Microsoft Windows Network->BUNSIZ=

I see the BUNSIZE domain, but as soon as I click BUNSIZE I get a blank
screen. In version 3.0.10 I used to see my two servers, OSCAR &
HEFE-WEZIEN

However, when I put in the Exploder address bar, \\OSCAR &
\\HEFE-WEIZEN, I am able to browse those servers. They just aren't
showing up in the Domain view.

Is there some kind of special upgrade procedure that I was supposed to
follow to maybe update the secret.tdb or is it just as easy as
creating a new one?

Also, when I try to browse the domain ON the FC4 server, I am unable
to see it and the servers. So this just doesn't seem to be a Winblows
issue.

All firewalls are off in the server.

I am wondering if FC4 has some hidden security features that I am not aware=
of..

----------------------------------smb.conf---------------------------------=
--------------
[global]
; unix charset =3D LOCALE
netbios name =3D OSCAR
workgroup =3D BUNSIZE
server string =3D Primary Domain Controller
; interfaces =3D eth0, lo

remote announce =3D xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
use sendfile =3D no

; bind interfaces only =3D Yes
passdb backend =3D ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
; username map =3D /opt/samba/private/smbusers
log level =3D 6
syslog =3D 0
log file =3D /var/log/samba/%m
max log size =3D 50
smb ports =3D 139 445
; name resolve order =3D wins bcast hosts

time server =3D Yes
add user script =3D /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd -a -m %u
delete user script =3D /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-userdel %u
add group script =3D /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p %g
delete group script =3D /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupdel %g
add user to group script =3D /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m %u =
%g
delete user from group script =3D
/opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x %u %g
set primary group script =3D /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g %g %=
add machine script =3D /opt/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w %u
logon script =3D scripts\logon.bat
logon path =3D \\%L\profiles\%U
logon drive =3D X:

domain logons =3D yes
os level =3D 255
preferred master =3D yes
domain master =3D yes
security =3D user
local master =3D yes
wins support =3D yes
browseable =3D yes

ldap suffix =3D dc=3Dxx,dc=3Dxxx,dc=3Dcom
ldap machine suffix =3D ou=3DComputers
ldap user suffix =3D ou=3DPee
ldap group suffix =3D ou=3DGroups
ldap idmap suffix =3D ou=3DUsers
ldap admin dn =3D cn=3DManager,dc=3Dxx,dc=3Dxx,dc=3Dcom
idmap backend =3D ldap:ldap://127.0.0.1
idmap uid =3D 10000-20000
idmap gid =3D 10000-20000

# printer configuration