I found it hard to believe that my config or client settings were
causing the problem, since I never had any problem running samba 2.
I searched google for :- 'wins_srv_is_dead' as my logs suggested that
there may be a samba problem doing wins lookups.

I found a couple of posts refering to a bug in versions around 3.0.12 so
I decided to update my samba to the current release 3.0.21c The problem
has now dissapeared!

Thanks for your help Barry.

Kilner Vacuumation Co. Ltd. http://www.kilner-vacuum-lifting.com
Tel. +44 1246 416441 Fax. +44 1246 290573