Adam--

You are a wonder worker!

I entered your command and the response I got was--

libgnomevfs-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.0 (0xb7b53000)

which I suspect is pretty much what you expected. Right?

In any case, after reading HOWTOs and man files and README files I edited
/etc/fstab and changed the instances of smbfs to cifs. It mounted right away,
and the files now lock linux to linux and linux to winXP Pro.

(At least for OOo. KWord does not respect the locks, nor does gedit. I suspect
that will not be a problem, but I wonder why not?)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Adam you have rescued me from having spent 2
1/2 weeks of work till midnight trying to get some file locking going! You are a
wonder, Adam!

:- Doug.