Re: [Samba] hanging smbd(s) revisited - Samba

This is a discussion on Re: [Samba] hanging smbd(s) revisited - Samba ; Matt, > To reiterate... the fcntl64 spins in a blocking wait, so we never see an > error unfortunately. spins in a blocking wait? What does that mean? Either it is spinning (chewing cpu) or its in a blocking wait ...

  1. Re: [Samba] hanging smbd(s) revisited

    Matt,

    > To reiterate... the fcntl64 spins in a blocking wait, so we never see an
    > error unfortunately.

    spins in a blocking wait? What does that mean? Either it is spinning
    (chewing cpu) or its in a blocking wait (and not chewing cpu). If its
    doing both then its a kernel bug.

    If this is Linux, and its blocked waiting for a lock, then I'd suggest
    catting /proc/locks while its stuck. From that you should be able to
    work out the state of each smbd using that tdb, and see if its a
    "possible" state or not ('possible' defined by the pattern of locks
    tdb does).

    Cheers, Tridge

  2. Re: hanging smbd(s) revisited

    Since we moved our data from the NFS server to the Samba server
    locally, the freezes have been less. We also get a new message in
    dmesg which I believe could be related to NFS as well?
    lease broken - owner pid = 13673

    After reading, I assume this means kernel oplocks aren't working? Could
    this have been our problem while we were resharing NFS as well? The
    way I understand kernel oplocks, they allow the linux kernel to be
    aware of samba oplocks for non-samba processes. So, can we disable
    kernel oplocking and run rsync etc.. while users are working? In which
    case, is there even a point in having them if the server is strictly
    used for servering window's clients?
    kernel: 2.6.9-22 & samba 3.0.21B

    Thank you, Ryan

  3. Re: hanging smbd(s) revisited

    I don't think anyone is reading this thread any longer but I figured I
    would put my progress in it anyway...

    We upgraded last night to samba 3.0.21c and so far (knock on wood) we
    haven't had any more error messages about locks or leases. I plan to
    give it the weekend to make sure and then put our data back on NFS
    server and see if there is a difference there too.

    --ryan

  4. Re: hanging smbd(s) revisited

    Ok, upgrading samba didn't work. If anything our problems are worse,
    so we are not moving to NFS. I can't figure out if this is locking
    problems because of new kernel/hardware or microstation special locking
    needs or what.. I'll post my solution if I ever find one...

+ Reply to Thread