Re: [Samba] hanging smbd(s) revisited - Samba

This is a discussion on Re: [Samba] hanging smbd(s) revisited - Samba ; On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote: >> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote: >>> >>> Samba assumes posix locking semantics on the filesystem. >>> NFS locking is broken. You might try setting >>> 'strict ...

  1. Re: [Samba] hanging smbd(s) revisited

    On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

    >> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Samba assumes posix locking semantics on the filesystem.
    >>> NFS locking is broken. You might try setting
    >>> 'strict locking = no'. If that doesn't work, you might
    >>> try 'posix locking = no' just as a test.

    >> We'll give that a shot -- we're still doing fs->nfs->samba
    >> sharing. Is this going to incur a slowdown?

    > No. But if you are accessing the same file via NFS
    > and CIFS, you might have problems with applications
    > not recognizing each others locks.

    Hm, fun... Okay. I guess that making the same host serve both NFS and
    CIFS off the same physical volume is probably the best ultimate
    solution? (This is the direction we are heading in, but right now, not
    quite in a position to do that yet).

    Many thanks

    Matt

  2. Re: hanging smbd(s) revisited

    > Samba assumes posix locking semantics on the filesystem.
    > NFS locking is broken. You might try setting
    > 'strict locking = no'. If that doesn't work, you might
    > try 'posix locking = no' just as a test.

    We are in production and although temporary freezing is no good, at
    least it recovers. I cannot pinpoint whether or not it is samba locks
    or our smp and time issues. How sensitive is samba to time accuracy?
    Every few minutes we will jump backwards in time anywhere from 4-80sec.

+ Reply to Thread