When I tried to run the commands you suggested, I got the following:

lsuser -R WINBIND ALL
Invalid -R option "WINBIND"

Usage: lsuser [-R load_module] [ -c | -f ] [ -a attr attr ... ] { "ALL"
| user1,user2 ... }

The WINBIND entry that I copied from the nsswitch directory after the
"make install" is in /usr/lib/security. Why does it not think this is a
valid module?

David

David Shapiro
Unix Team Lead
919-765-2011

David Shapiro wrote:
> What can I look at to understand why chown keeps saying user does

not
> exist.
>
> wbinfo -u/-g returns the user information
> klist -v shows kerberos is working
> net ads join works fine
> wbinfo -t shows secret is fine
>

> aix does not have getent so I can't run getent passwd -- is there
> something equivalent on aix?

Closest you're going to get is lsuser -R
lsuser -R NIS ALL
lsuser -R LDAP ALL
lsuser -R WINBIND ALL

and of course lsgroup -R

> /usr/lib/security/methods.cfg has:
>
> WINBIND:
> program = /usr/lib/security/WINBIND (set with chmod 444)
> options =authonly

Authonly means it's not capable of supplying any user information.
I don't know that's true anymore.

Look in source/nsswitch/winbind_nss_aix.c
Available methods are at the end of the file.
Not all methods are implemented, and not all methods implemented
return a valid answere.

Regards, Doug