We have two solaris 9 boxes with Samba 3.0.20, which authenticate
against a solaris 8 box with Samba 2.2.8a. My question is about
the /usr/local/samba/private files secret.tbd and smbpasswd. We
initially copied the smbpasswd from the 2.2.8a to the newer ones,
but it is not often kept up to date.

I was getting ready to work on setting up CFENGINE to keep the
files in sync when I was just told that I should simply empty
the smbpasswd files, as the authentication is done by the other
system. However, if I delete an account from the smbpasswd file,
it appears to loose direct access to the files on that server.

We are having a lot of inconsistant problems with controlling
access since moving files to the 3.0 systems, which I will
discuss in another message after we clarify how things
should be setup.

The clients are all windows, but we don't have any windows servers.