could you set up a small instance of an ldap server along with samba on
this small box and have it act like a bdc? you could set up openldap to
do syncrepl and have a full copy of your samba domain stuff that's in
ldap. if the connection goes down, the ldap stuff is there and if you
have it set up like a bdc, you can still login, etc.

just a thought, i'm fairly new at all this stuff.

My Website:
My Online Gallery: